Wang appeared at an MLB promotional event in Taiwan, December 2015
April 25, 1992 |
Taitung County, Taiwan
|April 14, 2014, for the Milwaukee Brewers|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||10.90|
Wei-Chung Wang (Chinese: 王維中, born April 25, 1992) is a Taiwanese professional baseball pitcher in the Milwaukee Brewers organization. He is the younger brother of former Chicago Cubs minor league player Yao-Lin Wang.
Wang signed as an international free agent with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2011. When the Pirates discovered that Wang required Tommy John surgery, they voided the contract, and signed Wang to a new contract.
The Brewers selected Wang from the Pirates in the 2013 Rule 5 draft. Though a player is normally automatically ineligible for the Rule 5 draft in his first four professional seasons, Wang was eligible due to the voided contract. Wang competed for a spot on the Brewers' 2014 Opening Day roster, which he made. Wang made his MLB debut on April 14, 2014 against the St. Louis Cardinals pitching a scoreless inning, allowing one hit.
Wang was designated for assignment by the Brewers on June 16, 2015 and outrighted to the Advanced-A Brevard County Manatees to begin the season.
He played in 2004 Little League World Series for Taiwan.
- MLB／王維中的棒球之路 哥哥影響深遠.
- Brink, Bill (December 12, 2013). "Brewers select Pirates' Wei-Chung Wang in Rule 5 draft". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- Pleskoff, Bernie. "Brewers could have Rule 5 gem in lefty reliever Wang". MLB.com.
- Haudricourt, Tom. "Brewers' Wei-Chung Wang hopes to jump from rookie ball to majors". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Retrieved March 29, 2014.
- Gruman, Andrew (September 23, 2014). "Wang hopes 2014 experiences help him get back to majors in future". Fox Sports. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- Haudricourt, Tom (October 21, 2014). "Brewers See Wang As A Starter". Baseball America. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Lance Lynn strikes out 11 as Cardinals snap Brewers' 9-game win streak". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 14, 2014. Retrieved December 14, 2014.