Weib, was weinest du
|Weib, was weinest du|
|by Heinrich Schütz|
Mary of Magdala recognizing Jesus, workshop of Peter Paul Rubens
|Genre||Sacred vocal music|
|Vocal||SSAT or SSTB choir|
Weib, was weinest du (Dialogo per la Pascua) (Woman, why are you crying, Easter dialogue), SWV 443, is a sacred choral work by Heinrich Schütz. It was composed not later than 1625 and is scored for four voices and basso continuo.
The text is a dialogue based on the episode, narrated in the Gospel of John, of Jesus appearing to Mary of Magdala (John 20:13–17). It is concluded by Martin Luther's Eastern hymn "Christ ist erstanden von dem Tod".
Musical means were taken from the composer's 1623 Historia of the Resurrection, which includes the same Gospel text. A review of a recording notes: "A setting of Mary Magdalene's recognition of the risen Jesus, it is notable in its expressive intensity and in its retention of motives and harmonic gestures from the earlier "Resurrection History."
A manuscript is kept in the library of the University of Kassel. Its date is assumed between 1627 and 1732. It was part of an exhibition in 2010, celebrating the 425th anniversary of the composer's birth by showing manuscripts, librettos, first prints, documents and instruments.
Publication and recordings
Weib, was weinest du was published in 1968 by Bärenreiter as part of the Neue Schütz-Ausgabe. The piece is part of the complete edition of the composer's works by Carus-Verlag, begun in 1992 as the Stuttgart Schütz Edition and planned to be completed by 2017. The edition uses the Heinrich-Schütz-Archiv of the Hochschule für Musik Dresden.
- "Heinrich Schütz: "Weib, was weinest du?," SWV 443". Emmanuel Music. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- "Weib, was weinest du / Osterdialog". Carus-Verlag. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Plank, Steven (16 June 2005). "Schütz: Historia der Auferstehung Jesu Christi". Opera Today. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Varwig, Bettina (2011). Histories of Heinrich Schütz / Musical Performance and Reception. Cambridge University Press. p. 47. ISBN 1-13-950201-8.
- Gottwald, Clytus (1997). Die Handschriften der Universitätsbibliothek Kassel, Landesbibliothek und Murhardsche Bibliothek: / Manuscripta musica (in German). Otto Harrassowitz Verlag. p. 92. ISBN 3-44-703775-X.
- Mandel, Christine (20 May 2010). "Universitäsbibliothek Kassel: Einblicke in die weltweit reichste Heinrich Schütz-Sammlung" (in German). idw-online.de. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Dialogo Per la Pascua: Weib, was weinest du? SWV 443. Og Es gingen zweene Menschen hinauf. SWV 444. Für vier Singstimmen und Basso Continuo. Bärenreiter. 1968.
- "Heinrich Schütz – Stuttgart Schütz Edition". Carus-Verlag. Retrieved 24 January 2014.