|• Mayor||Manfred Dalheimer|
|• Total||2.60 km2 (1.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||380 m (1,250 ft)|
|• Density||32/km2 (82/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Weiden is an Ortsgemeinde – a municipality belonging to a Verbandsgemeinde, a kind of collective municipality – in the Birkenfeld district in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It belongs to the Verbandsgemeinde of Herrstein, whose seat is in the like-named municipality.
Weiden has the lowest population figure of any municipality in the Verbandsgemeinde of Herrstein. Within Birkenfeld district as a whole, only Schwerbach has fewer inhabitants.
Weiden lies on the Deutsche Edelsteinstraße (“German Gem Road”).
Weiden borders in the north on the municipality of Hottenbach, in the northeast on the municipality of Oberhosenbach, in the southeast on the municipality of Breitenthal, in the south and southwest on the municipality of Mörschied and in the northwest on the municipality of Asbach.
Weiden’s mayor is Manfred Dalheimer, and his deputies are Herbert Halberstadt and Werner Kaiser.
Coat of arms
The municipality’s coat of arms are defined as: Per pale sable a hammer and pick per saltire and a miner’s lamp in pale, both argent, and argent a cross gules.
Culture and sightseeing
- Evangelical church, Schulstraße – aisleless church with ridge turret, 1930–1935, door frame marked 1764 (spolia); Baroque pulpit
- Schulstraße 8 – Quereinhaus (a combination residential and commercial house divided for these two purposes down the middle, perpendicularly to the street), partly slated, 1854, essentially from the 18th century
Not on the list, however, is the gristmill in the Wiesen valley, which dates back to 1832.
Economy and infrastructure
- Armin Peter Faust, (b. 10 May 1943 in Weiden), author, teacher.
- "Alle politisch selbständigen Gemeinden mit ausgewählten Merkmalen am 31.12.2018 (4. Quartal)". DESTATIS. Archived from the original on 10 March 2019. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Bevölkerungsstand 2017 - Gemeindeebene". Statistisches Landesamt Rheinland-Pfalz (in German). 2018.
- Kommunalwahl Rheinland-Pfalz 2009, Gemeinderat
- Weiden’s executive
- Directory of Cultural Monuments in Birkenfeld district
- Weiden in the collective municipality’s webpages (in German)
|This Rhineland-Palatinate location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|