Location of Weinert, Texas
|• Total||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Land||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,526 ft (465 m)|
|• Density||372/sq mi (143/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1370995|
Weinert is located at (33.3233, -99.6733).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2), all of it land.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Weinert has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
Weinert is named for Senator Ferdinand C. Weinert of Seguin. It was founded upon the 1906 construction of the Wichita Valley Railroad. The community experienced a major storm in 1909. A 1910 fire destroyed businesses for about a city block. The town's population exceeded 500 by 1940.
As of the census of 2000, there were 177 people, 78 households, and 56 families residing in the city. The population density was 366.6 people per square mile (142.4/km²). There were 101 housing units at an average density of 209/sq mi (81.2/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 82.5% White, 16.4% from other races, and 1.1% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 19.2% of the population.
There were 78 households out of which 28% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.0% were married couples living together, 10.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.2% were non-families. 28% of all households were made up of individuals and 17% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.3 and the average family size was 2.7.
In the city, the population was spread out with 20.9% under the age of 18, 5.1% from 18 to 24, 22.6% from 25 to 44, 23.7% from 45 to 64, and 27.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 115.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 109.0 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $22,344, and the median income for a family was $25,000. Males had a median income of $36,250 versus $18,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,257. About 20.0% of families and 19.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 28.6% of those under the age of eighteen and 7.0% of those sixty five or over.
The City of Weinert is served by the Haskell Consolidated Independent School District.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- Climate Summary for Weinert, Texas
- "WEINERT, TX (HASKELL COUNTY)," Handbook of Texas Online , accessed June 18, 2011. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population for Incorporated Places: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2015". Retrieved July 2, 2016.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.