Weir Wood Reservoir
|Site of Special Scientific Interest|
|Area of Search||West & East Sussex|
|Area||374 acres (1.5 km2)|
|Natural England website|
|Weir Wood Reservoir|
|Basin countries||United Kingdom|
|Surface area||280 acres (1.1 km2)|
|Max. depth||11 m (36 ft)|
Weir Wood Reservoir is a 1.5-mile (2.4 km) long stretch of water, situated close to Forest Row, East Sussex, England, on the north-western margins of Ashdown Forest. It has a full water capacity of 5,566,000 cubic metres (1.224×109 imp gal), covering a site of 280 acres (1.1 km2). The reservoir was built over the period 1951-54, a process which involved damming the valley of the River Medway. A daily average of 3.08 million imperial gallons (14,000 m3) is extracted.
The reservoir is owned by Southern Water and supplies part of Crawley, and other parts of Mid-Sussex. The western end of the reservoir is a protected nature reserve and bird sanctuary designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest. One of the main users of the reservoir is the Weir Wood Sailing Club, which is a RYA recognised training establishment, with sailing all year round. The reservoir is also a popular coarse fishing area, with day and seasonal passes available.
Weir Wood Sailing Club is a RYA recognised club, with various classes of dinghies sailed to Olympic standard, such as Laser, Laser radial, Laser 4.7, RS 200, 400 and 600, 2000, Enterprise, Fireball and Optimists.
The reservoir is a popular day ticket venue for boat and bank fishing of both mixed coarse and trout freshwater fish. The reservoir has depths of up to 30 feet in places and contains carp and pike to 34 lb, bronze bream to 14 lb, tench, roach, rudd, eel, perch, brown trout, rainbow trout and gudgeon. As well as being a public day ticket water, rights to fish Wierwood reservoir are shared by East Grinstead A.S, Crowborough and District Anglers Association, Dorset Arms Angling club, Rookery Angling club. and The Tonbridge Angling Club & Fish Preservation Society.
- "SSSI Citation—Weir Wood Reservoir" (PDF). Natural England. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- "Weir Wood Sailing Club". What we sail. WWSC.
- "Open Water Swimming Events". Swimming Events. Mid Sussex Triathlon Club.
- "Weir Wood Reservoir". Swimming Events. Hedgehogtri.
- "Weirwood Resevoir(sic)". The Tonbridge Angling Club & Fish Preservation Society. Retrieved 2017-12-15.
- "Fishery Review". fishe.net. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- "Fisheries: Weirwood reservoir". East Grinstead Angling Society. Retrieved 2014-05-26.
- "Club waters: Weirwood". Crowborough and District Anglers Association. Retrieved 2014-05-26.