Welcome to the Dollhouse (album)
|Welcome to the Dollhouse|
|Studio album by Danity Kane|
|Released||March 18, 2008|
|Danity Kane chronology|
|Singles from Welcome to the Dollhouse|
|The Boston Globe||(negative) 2008|
|Entertainment Weekly||(C) 2008|
Welcome to the Dollhouse is the second studio album by American R&B/pop group Danity Kane, released by Bad Boy and Atlantic Records on March 18, 2008 in the US and March 25, 2008 in Canada. Danity Kane recorded the album in under five weeks, while filming the second season of Making the Band 4 with fellow label mates Day26 and Donnie Klang first in New York City, New York, then in Miami, Florida. It became the group's second consecutive album to debut at #1 on the Billboard 200 chart. The album was the last album released before the group broke up in early 2009, and was their final album released with D. Woods who did not rejoin the group following their 2013 reunion, and Aundrea Fimbres, who announced she was leaving the group on May 16, 2014 to start a family with her fiance.
For this album, all of the girls had written and/or produced some kind of song, that they thought was suitable for their second effort. As mentioned in interviews, Danity Kane has stated that they came up with the name of the album when they all had brought in their own material into the studio to see which tracks would make the cut. They also expressed, that it felt as if they were in a music box, hence getting the name, Welcome to the Dollhouse. Each of the girls, also, were given chances to co-write a handful of the tracks that are on the record.
The album's lead single, "Damaged", was chosen through an online fan poll. In January 2008, Danity Kane had posted a bulletin on their respective MySpace page expressing that they were giving their fans the chance to choose their newest single. Fans were given two choices, "Damaged" and "Pretty Boy". Of the two choices, "Damaged" dominated the poll by a vast majority, and thus, became the lead single from Welcome to the Dollhouse. The single "Damaged" debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 Singles chart at #64, and in its second week it shot up to #27.
Erik White directed and Gil Duldulao choreographed the music video for "Bad Girl". The video featured cameos from Missy Elliott, Qwanell Mosley from their fellow Bad Boy Records band Day26, and Talan Torriero of the MTV show Laguna Beach. The concept of the video is a graphic novel and stays true to the line in the song "When the red light comes on, I transform" as each member transforms into an alter ego of theirs after a flash of red light. This is their last single as a group before their early 2009 breakup, and the last single to be released with now-former members D. Woods and Aundrea Fimbres, peaking at #85 on the Billboard Pop 100.
Welcome to the Dollhouse debuted on top of the US Billboard 200, with first week sales of 236,000 copies making it the band's second consecutive #1 album. Danity Kane is the first female group in Billboard history to have both their debut and second albums enter the main charts at #1. Less than a month after its release, Welcome to the Dollhouse was certified gold by the RIAA as of April 22, 2008. On September 28, 2008, the album had sold over 546,790 copies in the US. Billboard's weekly release of its popular Top 200 Albums, known as the Billboard 200, saw the album's biggest gain in sales for the magazine of October 11, 2008. Welcome to the Dollhouse landed at #75 on the year end Billboard 200.
|1.||"Welcome to the Dollhouse" (featuring P. Diddy)||
|2.||"Bad Girl" (featuring Missy Elliott)||Danja[A][B]||4:01|
|6.||"Sucka for Love"||2:55|
|7.||"Secret Place" (Interlude)||
|8.||"Ecstasy" (featuring Rick Ross)||The Runners[C]||4:36|
|9.||"2 of You"||
|11.||"Picture This" (Interlude)||
|13.||"Key to My Heart"||
|15.||"Is Anybody Listening..."||
|16.||"Ain't Going" (featuring Day26 and Donnie Klang)||
|Target edition bonus track|
|17.||"Make Me Sick"||
|US iTunes edition bonus tracks|
|16.||"Show Stopper" (Dave Audé Club remix)||7:26|
|17.||"Show Stopper" (Solitaire Club remix)||7:29|
|19.||"Ain't Going" (featuring Day26 and Donnie Klang)||3:12|
|20.||"Damaged" (Music video)|
- (*): Co-producer.
- (**): Produced and arranged by:
- (A): ^ Backing vocals by Mary Brown.
- (B): ^ Vocals produced and arranged by Mary Brown.
- (C): ^ Vocals produced by Mary Brown. Addition vocal production by Harve Pierre.
- (D): ^ Addition vocal production by Adonis and Voyce Alexander.
- (E): ^ Vocal production by Tiff Star and Jim Beanz.
- (F): ^ Vocal production by Harve Pierre and Shannon Lawrence.
- Sean Combs – executive producer
- Harve Pierre – co-executive producer
- Conrad Dimanche - associate executive producer, A&R
- Shannon Lawrence - A&R
- Daniel Mitchell - A&R coordinator
- Hughes Felizor - A&R coordinator
- Gwendolyn Niles - A&R administration
- Sharon Tucker - A&R administration
- Francesca Spero - Bad Boy Films/Making the Band 4 executive
- Eric Wong - marketing
- Kamala Salmon - marketing
- Mark Obriski - art direction and design
- Rod Gold - art manager
- Carolyn Tracey - packaging production
- Rodger Erickson - photographer
- Marni Senofonte - styling
- Julius Erving - management
- Kenneth Meiselas - legal representation
- Ed Shapiro - legal representation
- Brian Gardner - mastering
- Akeem Lee - producer ("Lights Out")
- Antwan Thompson - producer ("Welcome to the Dollhouse")
- Bernard Malik Doss - producer ("Ain't Going")
- Bryan-Michael Cox - producer ("Sucka For Love" and "2 of You")
- Danja - producer ("Bad Girl", "Pretty Boy" and "Strip Tease")
- Flex & Hated - producer ("Lights Out")
- Fridolin - producer ("Is Anybody Listening")
- Harve Pierre - producer ("Welcome to the Dollhouse")
- Mario Winans - producer ("Damaged", "Secret Place (Interlude)", "Lights Out", "Picture This (Interlude)", "Poetry" and "Is Anybody Listening")
- Rockwilder - producer ("Make Me Sick")
- Romeo IX - producer ("Flashback Interlude")
- Scyience - producer ("Key to My Heart")
- Sean Combs - producer ("Damaged", "Lights Out" and "Is Anybody Listening")
- Stereotypes - producer ("Damaged")
- The Clutch - producer ("Sucka for Love")
- The Runners - producer ("Ecstasy")
- Wyldcard - producer ("Sucka for Love" and "2 of You")
- Victor Abijaudi - engineer
- Steve Dickey - engineer
- Paul J. Falcone - engineer
- Andy Geel - engineer
- Koil - engineer
- Bernard Malik - engineer
- Matthew Testa - engineer
- Sam Thomas - engineer
- Jeff Villanueva - engineer
- Kevin Wilson - engineer
- Marcella Araica - mixing engineer
- Giz - mixing engineer
- Ken Lewis - mixing engineer
- Bernard Malik - mixing engineer
- Fabian Marasciullo - mixing engineer
- Matthew Testa - mixing engineer
- Sam Thomas - mixing engineer
- Adonis - vocal producer
- Voyce Alexander - vocal producer
- Jim Beanz - vocal producer
- Mary Brown - vocal producer
- Shannon Lawrence - vocal producer
- Harve Pierre - vocal producer
- Tiff Starr - vocal producer
- Mary Brown - backing vocals on "Bad Girl"
- Bryan-Michael Cox - arranger, bass guitar, drums, keyboards, programming, strings ("Sucka for Love" and "2 of You")*
- Steve Dickey - mixing assistant
- Daniel Mitchell - assistant engineer
- Donnie Scantz - bass guitar, drum programming, keyboards ("2 of You")
- Jahi Sundance - bass guitar, drum programming, keyboards ("2 of You")
- Mario Winans - arranger ("Secret Place", "Picture This" and "Is Anybody Listening")
- Wyldcard - keyboard, strings ("Sucka for Love"** and "2 of You")
|US Billboard 200||1|
|US Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums (Billboard)||1|
|United States||March 18, 2008|
|France||March 18, 2008|
|United Kingdom||April 21, 2008|
|Canada||March 25, 2008|
|Germany||May 9, 2008|
|Australia||September 13, 2008|
- Reid, Shaheem (January 30, 2008). Diddy, Beyonce, Ne-Yo Make 'Spotlight Live' New York's Hot Tuesday-Night Ticket. MTV. Accessed February 20, 2008.
- Harris, Chris (2008-07-01). "Danity Kane Embrace Femme Fatale Alter Egos In Fast-Paced 'Bad Girl' Clip - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Danity Kane : Chart History". Billboard.com. Retrieved 2013-08-10.
- Daniel Kreps (2008-03-26). "On the Charts: Danity Kane Scores, Gnarls Barkley Fouls Out | Music News". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Ma, Wayne (2008-03-28). "USA Network Dominates Cable Ratings in Week With Four Top Shows". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- Four months later, it went platinum with one million copies sold in the US. To date, the album has sold 1,650,000 worldwide.Ask Billboard WELCOME TO THE CHARTHOUSE
- https://web.archive.org/web/20081221050338/http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/yearend/chart_display.jsp?f=The+Billboard+200&g=Year-end+Albums. Archived from the original on December 21, 2008. Retrieved January 2, 2009. Missing or empty
- "Details on the upcoming tour - Aubreyoday.Org - The number one fansite for singer Aubrey O'Day". 17-08-08. Retrieved 07-02-14. Check date values in:
- Welcome to the Dollhouse (CD booklet). Danity Kane. United States: Bad Boy Records, Atlantic Records. 2008. 444609-2.
- "Welcome to the Dollhouse". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. 2008. Archived from the original on 26 December 2010. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- "Welcome to the Dollhouse [Target]". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. 2008. Archived from the original on 26 December 2010. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- "New Music: Danity Kane – "Make Me Sick" // "Welcome to the Dollhouse" Review". The Feedback. 20 March 2008. Retrieved 24 February 2011.
- "Make Me Sick (Legal Title)". BMI Repertoire. Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI). Archived from the original on 25 February 2011. Retrieved 25 February 2011.
- "Welcome to the Dollhouse by Danity Kane - Download Welcome to the Dollhouse on iTunes". iTunes. Apple Inc. 2008. Archived from the original on 26 December 2010. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- "Welcome to the Dollhouse [iTunes]". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. 2008. Archived from the original on 26 December 2010. Retrieved 26 December 2010.
- "Welcome To The Dollhouse: Danity Kane, Rick Ross: Amazon.fr: Musique". Amazon.fr. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- "Welcome to the Dollhouse: Danity Kane: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- [dead link]
- "Welcome To The Dollhouse: Danity Kane: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved 2012-03-14.
- [dead link]
Trilla by Rick Ross
|Billboard 200 number-one album
March 30, 2008 - April 5, 2008
Day26 by Day26