Welcome to the Family (TV series)
|Welcome to the Family|
|Created by||Mike Sikowitz|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||9 (6 unaired in the U.S.) (list of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||Mike Sikowitz|
|Distributor||Sony Pictures Television|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV)
|Original release||October 3 – October 17, 2013|
Welcome to the Family is an American sitcom television series that aired on NBC from October 3, to October 17, 2013 on Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. Eastern/7:30 p.m. Central, after Parks and Recreation. On May 10, 2013, the network placed a series order for the single camera comedy, which was canceled from NBC television schedule on October 18, 2013 after three episodes had aired. However, the series continues on STAR World India and is also available on Hulu.
The series follows a clash of cultures involving two American families brought together by the couple formed by Junior, the valedictorian son of a Latino family, and Molly, the less academic daughter of an Anglo family. The two are finishing high school and Junior is Stanford bound. On graduation day, they discover that Molly is pregnant. The pair decide to get married, forcing a bonding and blending of their two very different families.
- Mike O'Malley as Dr. Daniel Stacy "Dan" Yoder – Molly's father
- Mary McCormack as Caroline Yoder – Molly's mother
- Ella Rae Peck as Molly Yoder
- Joey Haro as Junior Hernandez
- Ricardo Antonio Chavira as Miguel Hernandez – Junior's father
- Justina Machado as Lisette Hernandez – Junior's mother
- Fabrizio Zacharee Guido as Demetrio Hernandez
- Eva Longoria as Demetrio's teacher—and Miguel's ex-girlfriend.
- Diedrich Bader as Rick, Mike's friend and business partner.
- Josh Meyers as Rollins, Caroline's annoying coworker.
- Joel Murray as Gabe, Caroline's recovering-alcoholic coworker.
- Bonita Friedericy as Sandra, Molly's spiritual adviser.
- Craig Cackowski as Todd, Mike's basketball teammate.
- Tisha Terrasini Banker as Woman.
- Jamie McShane as Officer Simon.
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|1||"Pilot"||Michael Engler||Mike Sikowitz||October 3, 2013||100||2.99|
|Dan and Caroline Yoder are attending their daughter Molly's high-school graduation; she barely passed and can't stop texting long enough to receive her diploma. At the same time, Miguel and Lisette Hernandez's eldest son Junior, is delivering his valedictorian speech when he receives a text from Molly that says she's pregnant. Not knowing of his daughter's relationship with Junior, Dan has a shouting match with Miguel when he tries to use a "free boxing lesson" coupon at the gym Miguel owns. Later, when Junior insists his parents meet Molly's parents, Miguel and Dan continue to berate each other. While Caroline and Lisette attempt to deal with the situation and each other's families, Miguel and Dan stay negative.|
|2||"Dan Finds Out"||Michael Engler||Mike Sikowitz||October 10, 2013||101||2.49|
|Caroline finds out she is pregnant and wants to keep it secret, but Junior finds out. At their children's request, Miguel and Dan try to work out their differences at the gym.|
|3||"The Big RV Adventure"||Michael Engler||Michael Borkow||October 17, 2013||103||2.42|
|Dan buys an RV to have more family time; Miguel and Lisette discover that Demetrio's teacher is Miguel's ex.|
|4||"Molly and Junior Find a Place"||Linda Mendoza||Peter Murrieta||October 25, 2013(India)||102||N/A|
|Molly and Junior decide to move into their own place.|
|5||"Halloween"||Linda Mendoza, Rebecca Asher||Vanessa McCarthy||November 1, 2013(India)||104||N/A|
|Molly and Junior go to a costume party on Halloween; Caroline tries to hide her pregnancy from an important client.|
|6||"Dan and Miguel Play Ball"||Rebecca Asher||Dylan Morgan, Josh Siegal||November 8, 2013(India)||105||N/A|
|Dan asks Miguel to play in his weekly basketball game, at which Miguel accidentally loses a tooth; at the dental clinic Miguel bites Dan's finger. In the meantime, Caroline and Lisette get into a fight, and Junior gets a job in the biology lab.|
|7||"Lisette's Abuela Visits"||Jay Chandrasekhar & Michael Engler||Alex Cooley||November 15, 2013(India)||108||N/A|
|Lisette's grandmother visits, and Lisette has been hiding her family's real lifestyle from relatives. Meanwhile, Junior thinks Molly has gone into denial about her pregnancy.|
|8||"Thanksgiving"||Jay Chandrasekhar||Mike Sikowitz||November 29, 2013(India)||107||N/A|
|9||"Junior Takes a Stand"||Bryan Gordon||Richard Manus & Isaac Gonzalez||December 6, 2013
December 20, 2013 (US)
Reviews were decidedly negative. In a review for Variety, Brian Lowry said Welcome to the Family was "a sitcom with all the depth of a knock-knock joke." The Washington Post's Hank Steuver anointed it as his "nominee for quickest and most punitive cancellation" and gave it an F. A writer for TV by the Numbers described the viewership as "dismal", falling to "anemic" by the second week.
- Kondology, Amanda (June 21, 2013). "NBC Announces Fall Premiere Dates for New Season Including 'The Voice', 'The Blacklist', 'The Michael J Fox Show', 'Grimm', 'Revolution' & More". TV by the Numbers. Zap2it. Retrieved June 21, 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley; Rose, Lacey (May 10, 2013). "NBC Orders James Spader's 'Blacklist,' 'Night Shift,' 'Welcome to the Family'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- "Development Update: Friday, May 10 – NBC Orders Three More Pilots to Series". The Futon Critic. May 10, 2013. Retrieved May 11, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 18, 2013). "'Ironside' & 'Welcome to the Family' Canceled by NBC; 'Community' to Premiere January 2, 'Chicago P.D.' January 8". TV by the Numbers.
- "Fall TV Guide 2013". September 25, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Hulu offers a few fall premieres from Fox, ABC and NBC online before they air". September 10, 2013. Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- "Welcome to the Family on Hulu". Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Andreeva, Nellie (August 14, 2013). "Eva Longoria To Appear On NBC’s ‘Welcome To The Family’ For ‘Desperate Housewives’ Reunion With Ricardo Chavira". Deadline Hollywood.
- Bibel, Sara (October 4, 2013). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'Big Bang Theory', 'Grey's Anatomy' & 'The Originals' Adjusted Up; 'Parks And Recreation', 'Welcome to the Family', 'Sean Saves the World', 'Michael J. Fox Show', & 'Parenthood' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 11, 2013). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory', 'The X Factor' & 'Glee' Adjusted Up; 'The Vampire Diaries' & 'The Millers' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 11, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (October 18, 2013). "Thursday Final Ratings: 'The Big Bang Theory' & 'Grey's Anatomy' Adjusted Up; 'The Crazy Ones' & 'Elementary' Adjusted Down". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved October 18, 2013.
- "Welcome to the Family : Season 1". Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Lowry, Brian (September 27, 2013). "Having tried planned pregnancies, NBC goes the unplanned route – with about the same results". Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Steuver, Hank (September 13, 2013). "‘Welcome to the Family’ on NBC". Retrieved November 30, 2013.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (October 11, 2013). "TV Ratings Thursday: 'Glee' Tribute Episode Soars, 'Welcome to the Family' Goes Anemic + 'Once Upon a Time in Wonderland' Has Weak Start". Retrieved November 15, 2013.