Welham Boys' School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Welham Boys' School|
|Motto||From Strength To Strength|
|Founder||Hersille Susie Oliphant|
|Number of students||650+|
|Campus size||37 acres (approx.)|
|Houses||Cauvery, Ganga, Jamuna and Krishna|
|Colour(s)||Brown and beige|
|Alumni name||Welham Old Boys' Society|
Welham Boys' School is a prestigious boarding school located in Dehra Dun, India. The school is a residential school for boys and is affiliated with CBSE.It is ranked amongst the top 5 boys boarding schools in the country as per the education world rankings 2019.
Welham was founded in 1937 as a preparatory school for boarding schools in England and India, by Miss Oliphant, an English lady, with a capital of £1000. There were no funds or staff, and no school buildings. Miss Oliphant recruited another retired English lady, Miss Grace Mary Linnell, to run the boarding school for girls, and Miss Linnell became the Founder-Principal of Welham Girls School. Under Miss Linnell’s guidance Welham Girls High School, as it was known then, established itself as a boarding school.
In 1956 Miss Oliphant donated all her assets to the Welham Boys' School, which presently is administered by a Board of Trustees. Mr. S. K. (Charlie) Kandhari took over as principal in January 1983.
- Naveen Patnaik - Chief Minister of Odisha
- Mani Shankar Aiyar - politician, Cabinet Minister of India
- Swaminathan Shankar Anklesaria Iyer, Economist.
- Shaad Ali - film director
- Rajiv Gandhi - Prime Minister of India
- Sanjay Gandhi - politician
- Zayed Khan - actor
- Vikas Kumar - actor
- Jubin Nautiyal - Indian playback singer
- Mansoor Ali Khan Pataudi - Ex- Cricket captain of India, Nawab of Pataudi
- Gautam Punj - industrialist
- Vikram Seth - writer
- Capt. Amarinder Singh - Chief Minister of Punjab (and among the Royal Family of Patiala)