|This article does not cite any sources. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Time zone||Sri Lanka Standard Time Zone (UTC+5:30)|
Wellawatte is a neighbourhood of Colombo, Sri Lanka. It lies immediately south of Bambalapitiya and is classified as zone 6 within the Colombo Municipal region. The town begins at the old Dutch canal just before the Savoy Cinema and extends south to the same canal that reaches the sea just before the Hospital Road junction where Dehiwela begins. It is bounded on the west by the waters of the Indian Ocean and extends to Pamankade where Havelock Road forks and meets the Sri Saranankara Road bridge, which stretches over the Dutch canal, extending towards Kohuwela-Hospital Road junction on Dutugemunu Street.
The Savoy Cinema was owned and managed by C. V. de Silva. It is located next to the Dutch Canal on the seaside and marks the beginning of the town. The Cinema was later bought by the Edirisinghe Group, owned and managed by EAP Edirisinghe and refurbished.
Kinsross Swimming & Life Saving Club
On the beach stood the original KS&LSC, established in 1940. This club produced several champions in swimming and aquatics. The club also produced several outstanding spear fishermen and introduced the sport of spear fishing to Ceylon.
Wellawatte is the birthplace of one of the country's best seafood restaurants, the Beach Wadiya.
Wellawatte produced some of the best cricketers and ruggerites in Sri Lanka. e.g., Asanka Gurusinha in cricket and the Denish brothers in rugby.
Mary Anne was a great piano teacher and singer.
- Arethusa College, Colombo-6
- St. Lawrence's Convent, Colombo 06
- Saiva Mangaiyar Vidyalayam
- Lumbini Vidyalaya (Primary section)
Art and Religious centers
- Sri Dharmodaya Priwena Buddhist Temple
- Sri Jayasinharamaya Buddhist Temple
- Boddhirukkaramaya Temple (Vihara Lane Temple)
- Colombo Tamil Sangam Colombo Tamil Sangam
- Ramakrishna Mission, Ceylon Ramakrishna Mission, Ceylon
- Mayurapathhy Amman Kovil
- Muhiyadeen Masjid ( Mayura Place Mosque )
- Sri Pathrakali Amman Temple
- Wellawatte Jumma Mosque Wellawatte Jumma Mosque
- St. Lawrence's Church, Wellawatte
||Indian Ocean||Bambalapitiya||Havelock Town|