Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell-Matrix Research
|Location||Manchester, United Kingdom|
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell-Matrix Research at the University of Manchester pursues research into extracellular matrix (ECM) biology and its contribution to human diseases. The Centre was established in 1995 by Charles Streuli and is funded by the Wellcome Trust.
A key aim for the Centre is to clarify the roles of cell adhesion molecules, found on the exterior of cells and how they bind to and organise the ECM. These interactions ultimately affect cell behaviour and are of importance medically: defects in cell-ECM interactions underpin many diseases, including cancer, diabetes, heart disease, osteoarthritis, inflammatory disorders, some forms of blindness, and many genetically inherited conditions.
The Centre focuses on cellular matrix microenvironment, matrix immunobiology, and mechanobiology of the matrix.
As of 2016[update] principal investigators in the centre include Judi Allen, Clair Baldock, Christoph Ballestrem, Ray Boot-Handford, Pat Caswell, Tony Day, Andrew Gilmore, Richard Grencis, Tim Hardingham, Martin Humphries, Karl Kadler, Rachel Lennon, Qing-Jun Meng, Chris Miller, Martin Schwartz, Charles Streuli, Joe Swift, Dave Thornton, Mark Travis, Sarah Woolner, Ceri Harrop, Thomas Jowitt, David Knight, Toby Starborg and Egor Zindy.
- Anon (2016). "Research groups within the Cell-Matrix Centre". wellcome-matrix.org. Manchester. Archived from the original on 2015-01-19.
- Anon (2014). "Wellcome Trust Centre for Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell-Matrix Research" (PDF). University of Manchester. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-08-20. Retrieved 2016-10-22.
- Anon (2016). "Research centres and institutes". wellcome.ac.uk. London: Wellcome Trust. Archived from the original on 2016-12-09.
- Sedwick, Caitlin (2013). "Martin Humphries: Attached to adhesion". The Journal of Cell Biology. 200 (5): 554–555. doi:10.1083/jcb.2005pi. PMC 3587834. PMID 23460674.
- Ayad, Shirley; Boot-Handford, Ray; Humphries, Martin J.; Kadler, Karl E.; Shuttleworth, Adrian (1998). "Introduction to The Extracellular Matrix FactsBook (Second Edition)": 3–10. doi:10.1016/B978-012068911-8.50095-6. ISBN 9780120689118.
|This article about a scientific organization is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|