Wellington station (CTA)
|Chicago 'L' rapid transit station|
|Location||945 West Wellington Avenue|
Chicago, Illinois 60657
|Owned by||Chicago Transit Authority|
|Line(s)||North Side Main Line|
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Opened||May 31, 1900|
|Passengers (2017)||929,861 1.3%|
|Rank||74 out of 143|
Wellington is a Chicago 'L' station on the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) Brown Line; Purple Line express trains also stop at the station during weekday rush hours. It is an elevated station with four tracks and two side platforms, located at 945 West Wellington Avenue in the Lakeview neighborhood of Chicago, Illinois. Red Line trains pass through the station on the middle tracks, but do not stop. The station closed for renovations from March 30, 2008, until July 30, 2009.
Wellington station opened in 1900 as a local station on the original Northwestern Elevated Railroad route from Lake and Wells in downtown to Wilson Station. From the late 1940s Wellington became a station on the Ravenswood route (now the Brown Line). The original station house was demolished in the 1960s following a fire. Purple Line express trains began stopping at the station in 1998 as part of an effort to help alleviate congestion on the Brown Line.
Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project
Wellington was reconstructed and renovated as part of the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project. The new station has extended platforms capable of berthing eight car trains, and elevators to meet ADA accessibility requirements. The Wellington station closed for renovations on March 30, 2008. The station reopened on July 30, 2009.
Notes and references
- "Annual Ridership Report – Calendar Year 2017" (PDF). Chicago Transit Authority, Ridership Analysis and Reporting. January 31, 2018. Retrieved July 29, 2018.
- Wellington Chicago-"L".org (URL accessed October 8, 2006).
- About The Brown Line. CTA Countdown To A New Brown website (URL accessed October 8, 2006).
- Wellington. CTA Countdown To A New Brown website (URL accessed October 8, 2006).
- Media related to Wellington (CTA) at Wikimedia Commons
- Train schedule (PDF) at CTA official site
- Station (then closed) from Google Maps Street View
|This article relating to the Chicago Transit Authority is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Illinois train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|