Wellington Naturist Club
Coordinates: The Wellington Naturist Club is a naturist resort located in Te Mārua, Upper Hutt, 38 kilometres (24 mi) northeast of Wellington in the North Island of New Zealand. Its 4.7 hectares (12 acres) of land hold facilities including a miniature golf course, volleyball court, picnic areas, spa and sauna, and extensive rhododendron gardens, with a large hall for a clubhouse. For accommodation, the resort has four lodges and over 150 campsites. The Club was founded in 1950, under the name "Wellington Sun and Health Society".
The Wellington Naturist Club opens its gates to the public on one weekend each summer, and periodically hosts the New Zealand Naturist Federation (NZNF)'s annual national rally. The Club regularly celebrates World Naked Gardening Day in May, but has also helped launch a National Nude Gardening Day in October, as May is a cold month in New Zealand. The Club's grounds have also been used as a wedding venue.
2016 INF World Congress
In November 2016, following lobbying by the NZNF in conjunction with Tourism New Zealand, the Club was the venue for the World Congress of the International Naturist Federation (INF), marking the second time the Congress had ever been held in the Southern Hemisphere. This Congress was marked by political unrest, as sitting INF president Sieglinde Ivo was voted out in favour of French delegate Armand Jamier by a narrow majority led by British Naturism delegates. The vote was overturned and Ivo returned to the presidency at a special World Congress in 2017, held in Vienna.
- Powell, Selina (15 January 2014). "Naturists hold free open day at club". Dominion Post. Stuff Limited. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- McLennan, Rosemary (27 October 2010). "Strip off, then say "cheese"". Dominion Post. Stuff Limited. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "Wellington Naturist Club". gonatural. New Zealand Naturist Federation. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Naden, Liam (3 June 2019). "Naturist Clubs and Places to Stay in New Zealand's North Island". TripSavvy. Dotdash. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "NZNF 60th Anniversary". gonatural. New Zealand Naturist Federation. 2018. Retrieved 14 December 2019.
- "Open Day". Wellington Naturists. Wellington Naturist Club. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "Letting it all hang out at the naturist festival". Dominion Post. Stuff Limited. 31 January 2009. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Herbert, Tom (5 May 2018). "People are pruning their bushes on World Naked Gardening Day". Metro. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Baird, Alex (20 October 2018). "Wellington naturists bare all for National Nude Gardening Day". Newshub. MediaWorks New Zealand. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Shaskey, Tara (20 October 2018). "Naturists embrace New Zealand Nude Gardening Day". Stuff.co.nz. Stuff Limited. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Hunt, Elle; Speer, Sophie (6 January 2013). "Bride and groom bare their affection". Sunday Star-Times. Stuff Limited. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Stewart, Matt (10 October 2014). "Nudists crowd into capital". Dominion Post. Stuff Limited. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Bryan Crump, Wendy Lowe (14 November 2014). Me Korero – INF World Congress 2016. Nights. Radio New Zealand. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Sawer, Patrick (4 February 2017). "Chill wind blows though naturists' ranks as row splits world of nudism". The Telegraph. Retrieved 15 January 2020.