Wellington West (New Zealand electorate)
Wellington West was a parliamentary electorate in the western suburbs of Wellington, New Zealand, from 1938 to 1946. It was represented by two Members of Parliament, including Catherine Stewart, the country's second female MP. It was succeeded by the Karori electorate.
The 1931 New Zealand census had been cancelled due to the Great Depression, so the 1937 electoral redistribution had to take ten years of population growth into account. The increasing population imbalance between the North and South Islands had slowed, and only one electorate seat was transferred from south to north. Five electorates were abolished, one former electorate (Onehunga) was re-established, and four electorates were created for the first time, including Wellington West.
By area, the Wellington West electorate was mostly made up from what previously belonged to the Otaki electorate. By population, it mostly gained areas from the Wellington Suburbs electorate. Settlements within the electorate's area were Makara and Makara Beach.
Catherine Stewart was the first representative. She won the election in 1938, when she defeated long-standing MP Robert Alexander Wright who had previously represented the Wellington Suburbs electorate. Stewart was the second woman to be elected to Parliament after Elizabeth McCombs. She was defeated in the next (1943 election) by Charles Bowden. At the end of the term in 1946, the electorate was abolished, and Bowden moved to Karori.
Members of Parliament
|1938 election||Catherine Stewart|
|1943 election||Charles Bowden|
|(Electorate abolished in 1946, see Karori)|
|People's Movement||Clive Drummond||1,050||6.44|
|Democratic Labour||Stevenson McDougall||1,042||6.40|
|Independent||Robert Alexander Wright[nb 1]||7,133||46.66|
- Wright was supported by the National Party.
- McRobie 1989, pp. 87–92.
- McRobie 1989, pp. 86, 90.
- McRobie 1989, p. 90.
- Scholefield 1950, p. 167.
- "The General Election, 1938". National Library. 1939. p. 5. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- Scholefield 1950, p. 140.
- Nicholls, Roberta. "Stewart, Catherine Campbell". Dictionary of New Zealand Biography. Ministry for Culture and Heritage. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- Wilson 1985, pp. 184, 236.
- Wilson 1985, p. 184.
- "The General Election, 1943". National Library. 1944. p. 11. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "Results from all Electorates". Evening Post. CXXXVI (76). 27 September 1943. p. 6. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "City Nominations". Evening Post. CXXXVI (61). 9 September 1943. p. 9. Retrieved 28 March 2014.
- "The General Election, 1938". National Library. 1939. pp. 1–6. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- McRobie, Alan (1989). Electoral Atlas of New Zealand. Wellington: GP Books. ISBN 0-477-01384-8.
- Scholefield, Guy (1950) [First published in 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1949 (3rd ed.). Wellington: Govt. Printer.
- Wilson, James Oakley (1985) [First published in 1913]. New Zealand Parliamentary Record, 1840–1984 (4th ed.). Wellington: V.R. Ward, Govt. Printer. OCLC 154283103.