Wells Community Academy High School
|Wells Community Academy High School|
|936 N Ashland Ave
Chicago, Illinois 60622
|School type||Public Secondary|
|Opened||1935 (current building)|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Rituparna Raichoudhuri |
Wells Loyalty SongWells High, we raise our voice to thee. Wells High, you have our loyalty, fighting and always striving, to bring to you a victory. So we'll say… Wells High, to you we pledge our hearts, to you we will be true. Fight on and keep our colors flying, silver and royal blue.
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
William H. Wells Community Academy High School (commonly known as Wells High School) is public 4–year high school located in the West Town neighborhood on the Near Northwest Side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. Wells is a part of the Chicago Public Schools system. Wells serves grades 9 through 12. Wells is named after former superintendent of the Chicago Public Schools William Harvey Wells.
Wells was established in William Harvey Wells's honor approximately a year after his death in 1886. The current building opened in 1935 on the site of the original school with extra ground at the north. Originally, the city of Chicago planned for Wells to open as a junior high school in 1930; construction of the school was delayed.
In October 2013, Rituparna Raichoudhuri was named as principal of the school, succeeding Ernesto Matias. Raichoudhuri served as resident principal during the 2012–13 school year, and previously served in the office of performance management at Chicago Public Schools, and as a teacher in California.
Wells is divided into 5 Smaller Learning Communities:
- Freshmen Academy
- Law & Public Safety Academy (LPSA)
- Logistics Academy
- Chicago Urban Teachers Academy
- TeraU Program
Wells competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). Wells sport teams are nicknamed Eagles. The boys' basketball team won the public league championship in 1936–37. The boys' soccer team were regional champions in 2008–09, and the girls' team were regional champions in 2011–12.
- Rugby (Wells HS Rugby Club)
- Track & Field
- National Honor's Society (NHS)
- Student Council
- Curtis Mayfield – R&B/funk singer, songwriter.
- Jerry Butler – singer, politician.
- Michael Rooker – Actor.
- Ramsey Lewis – Musician.
- Junior Fonseca F Kennedy Jr, Esq -- Citizen.
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 3 January 2010.
- "CPS School Listings - CPS.edu".
- Chicago Public Schools: Wells
- "West/Central/South High Schools". Chicago Public Schools. May 17, 2013. Retrieved on May 25, 2015.
- Wells Academy High School
- "Wells Staff List - CPS.edu".
- IHSA Chicago (Wells)
- "Elem Near North, West, and Central". Chicago Public Schools. 2013. Retrieved on September 30, 2016.
- "HS North/Near North." Chicago Public Schools. 2013. Retrieved on September 30, 2016.