Wells Fargo Building (Portland, Oregon)
|Wells Fargo Building|
Location in Portland
|Alternative names||Porter Building
US National Bank Building
|Location||309 SW 6th Avenue
|Roof||56.4 m (185 ft)|
|Floor area||20,903 sq ft (1,942.0 m2)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Benjamin Wistar Morris, III|
Wells Fargo Building
Portland Historic Landmark
|NRHP Reference #||86002839|
|Added to NRHP||October 9, 1986|
The Wells Fargo Building is a historic office building in downtown Portland, Oregon, United States. The large doorstep at the building's entryway required the largest slab of granite ever shipped to Portland at the time. Completed in 1907, the steel-framed building is considered the city's first true skyscraper. At 12 stories and with a height of 182 feet (55 m), it was the tallest building in Portland (and indeed in all of Oregon), exclusive of towers, and remained so for four years. The clock tower of the 1892-completed Oregonian Building, which measured 194 feet (59 m) in height, made that building the tallest in the city overall.
In 1946, the building was purchased by the United States National Bank of Portland, whose headquarters was located in a smaller building located directly adjacent, immediately to the south. U.S. National Bank used the Wells Fargo Building to expand its downtown Portland headquarters.
- Architecture of Portland, Oregon
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Southwest Portland, Oregon
- Portland Historic Landmarks Commission (July 2010), Historic Landmarks -- Portland, Oregon (XLS), retrieved November 13, 2013.
- Wells Fargo Building (Portland, Oregon) at Emporis
- Wells Fargo Building (Portland, Oregon) at SkyscraperPage
- King, Bart (2001). An Architectural Guidebook to Portland. Salt Lake City: Gibbs Smith. p. 25. ISBN 9780879059910.
- "Yeon Skyscraper Starts March 10". (February 6, 1910). The Sunday Oregonian, Section 4, p. 12.
- "$875,000 Annex for U. S. National; Porter Building Pioneers City's Steel Construction". (September 26, 1946). The Oregonian, p. 18.
- Pratt, Gerry (October 28, 1970). "Bank Offers Bonus: New Life to Old Area". The Oregonian. p. 38.
- "Oregon National Register List" (PDF). Oregon Parks and Recreation Department. June 6, 2011. Retrieved June 26, 2011.
- Media related to Wells Fargo Building (Portland, Oregon) at Wikimedia Commons
- Portland Business Journal: Portland's first skyscraper passes the century mark