Thompson in 2011 with the Colorado Rapids
|Full name||Thomas Wells Thompson|
|Date of birth||November 25, 1983|
|Place of birth||Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|2003–2006||Wake Forest Demon Deacons|
|2007–2009||New England Revolution||71||(2)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of October 30, 2015
Thomas Wells Thompson (born November 25, 1983 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina) is a retired American soccer player who last played as a midfielder for Carolina RailHawks in the North American Soccer League (NASL).
High school and College
Thompson attended R.J. Reynolds High School, Forsyth Country Day School (aka, FCDS), and the Family Foundation School. He earned an All-North Carolina first team selection as a junior and senior as well as an all-conference and all-region selection. After graduating from FCDS, he attended Wake Forest University where he played college soccer for four years. During his college years Thompson also played with Carolina Dynamo in the USL Premier Development League.
New England Revolution
Thompson was drafted in the first round (fifth overall) in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft by New England Revolution. In three seasons with the club the versatile midfielder appeared in 71 league matches scoring 2 goals. He also helped the club capture the 2007 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
He was traded to Colorado Rapids on January 21, 2010 as part of deal involving four players, MLS SuperDraft picks and allocation money. On April 14, 2010 Thompson scored his first two goals for Colorado in a 2-1 victory over Kansas City Wizards in a 2010 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup qualification match.
He was traded to the Chicago Fire after asking for a trade. Thompson made 4 appearances for the Fire in the 2012 campaign, and has played in 5 games thus far in 2013 earning his first start on March 24, 2013. Thompson's aggressive on-field play has earned him the nickname "El Diablo". At the end of 2013 season the club did not renew Thompson's contract.
New England Revolution
- Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup (1): 2007
- Major League Soccer Eastern Conference Championship (1): 2007
- North American SuperLiga (1): 2008
- "Wells Thompson Bio - Wake Forest Men's Soccer - WakeForestSports.com".
- "Thompsons brace leads Rapids past KC".
- McCarthy, Jack (September 10, 2012). "Fire pick up midfielder Thompson in deal with Rapids". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved September 25, 2012.
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Roster, retrieved May 7, 2013
- Gregg Mixdorf (April 13, 2013). "As it happened: Game 6 Houston vs Chicago".
- Jeff Crandall & Eunice Kim (April 30, 2013). "All-In Podcast Ep. #101 All-In with Wells Thompson". Chicago-Fire.com (Podcast). Event occurs at 28:10. Retrieved May 7, 2013.
- "RELEASE: Chicago Fire Exercise Contract Options on 10 Players Ahead of Thursday's Re-Entry Draft". chicago-fire.com. December 9, 2013.