Norman Township, Michigan
|Norman Township, Michigan|
|• Type||Norman Township Board of Trustee's|
|• Kevin Schuessler||Supervisor|
|• Total||72.2 sq mi (186.9 km2)|
|• Land||70.8 sq mi (183.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.3 sq mi (3.5 km2)|
|Elevation||781 ft (238 m)|
|• Density||23.7/sq mi (9.1/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||49689 (Wellston),
|GNIS feature ID||1626809|
There are no incorporated municipalities in the township. There are two unincorporated communities:
- Dublin is in the southern part of the township within the Manistee National Forest at . The main roads of the community are Seaman Road (north-south) and Hoxeyville Road (east-west). Dublin is located just a mile north of Sand Lake Camp, a United States Forest Service public campground.
- Wellston is in the Manistee National Forest just south of M-55, about 20 miles east of Manistee and about 25 miles west of Cadillac at . The ZIP code is 49689 and serves the northern and eastern portions of the township as well as portions of Dickson Township to the north and South Branch Township to the east. Wellston, was named for the first postmaster, Adelmer J. Wells. The post office officially opened June 30, 1892. The town was founded by the Swigart Land Company along the Chicago and West Michigan Railroad. Wellston is home to the world-renowned critically ill kids' ministry Little Mary's Hospitality House, founded in 1982.
- Manistee is to the west and the Manistee ZIP code, 49660, serves the western portion of the township.
- Irons is to the south and the Irons ZIP code, 49644, serves a small area in the southwest part of the township.
Norman Township was formed in 1911 and was named after Ed Norman. Ed Norman was a surveyor and estimated, bought and sold timber and cut a lot of it himself. He located here about 1897 and the second year, E. G. Filer, who owned the standing timber donated the school house. Ed Norman and his wife Elizabeth had 16 children.
During this time Ed was supervisor of Stronach township, he cut limbs off his poplars at home and planted them along the drive to Filer City. Mrs. Norman recalls that there was some criticism about it by a neighboring township. Residents from this section usually got what they wanted at Stronach. They thought it would be better to divide the township and Ed took about 200 men who were working on Stronach dam over to vote and they won their point. Thus Norman township was formed in 1911. (From the Wellston-Dublin Book-July 1939). Dublin is where the voice of "Darth Vader" James Earl Jones grew up.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 72.2 square miles (187 km2), of which 70.8 square miles (183 km2) is land and 1.3 square miles (3.4 km2) (1.86%) is water.
This climatic region has large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Norman Township has a humid continental climate, abbreviated "Dfb" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,676 people, 681 households, and 493 families residing in the township. The population density was 23.7 per square mile (9.1/km²). There were 1,632 housing units at an average density of 23.0 per square mile (8.9/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 96.00% White, 0.72% African American, 1.25% Native American, 0.12% Asian, 0.42% from other races, and 1.49% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.78% of the population.
There were 681 households out of which 26.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 60.1% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.5% were non-families. 22.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.46 and the average family size was 2.82.
In the township the population was spread out with 23.6% under the age of 18, 5.2% from 18 to 24, 24.7% from 25 to 44, 29.4% from 45 to 64, and 17.1% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 43 years. For every 100 females there were 106.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 103.5 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $31,010, and the median income for a family was $35,057. Males had a median income of $33,958 versus $19,688 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,081. About 8.6% of families and 15.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.7% of those under age 18 and 10.9% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Norman Township, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Dublin, Michigan
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wellston, Michigan
- 49689 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- 49660 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- 49644 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- Climate Summary for Norman Township, Michigan