Location in Cache County and the state of Utah
|Founded (as Maughan's Fort)||1856|
|Named for||Daniel H. Wells|
|• Total||6.61 sq mi (17.12 km2)|
|• Land||6.60 sq mi (17.09 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.04 km2)|
|Elevation||4,547 ft (1,386 m)|
|• Density||520/sq mi (200.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||1447103|
Wellsville is a city in Cache County, Utah, United States. The population was 3,432 at the 2010 census, with an estimated population of 3,578 in 2014. It is included in the Logan, Utah-Idaho Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Wellsville is on the Eastern side of the Wellsville Mountains. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 6.6 square miles (17.1 km2), of which 0.02 square miles (0.04 km2), or 0.21%, is water.
This climatic region is typified by large seasonal temperature differences, with warm to hot (and often humid) summers and cold (sometimes severely cold) winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Wellsville has a humid continental climate, abbreviated "Dfb" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,729 people, 778 households, and 686 families residing in the city. The population density was 429.3 people per square mile (165.9/km²). There were 815 housing units at an average density of 128.2 per square mile (49.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 97.29% White, 0.40% Native American, 0.15% Asian, 0.15% Pacific Islander, 1.73% from other races, and 0.29% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.79% of the population.
There were 778 households out of which 55.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 79.8% were married couples living together, 5.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 11.8% were non-families. 9.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.51 and the average family size was 3.79.
In the city, the population was spread out with 38.3% under the age of 18, 10.2% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 16.9% from 45 to 64, and 7.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 26 years. For every 100 females there were 104.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 101.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $49,115, and the median income for a family was $51,023. Males had a median income of $37,244 versus $21,750 for females. The per capita income for the city was $16,171. About 5.8% of families and 6.4% of the population were below the poverty line, including 8.1% of those under age 18 and 8.8% of those age 65 or over.
- Earl W. Bascom, rodeo cowboy, international artist, inventor, Utah Sports Hall of Fame inductee, worked for the McBride Ranch of Wellsville in 1934
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Wellsville
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Census Summary File 1 (G001): Wellsville city, Utah". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 7, 2015.
- "Annual Estimates of the Resident Population: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2014 (PEPANNRES): Incorporated Places in Utah". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 7, 2015.
- Climate Summary for Wellsville, Utah
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
|Adjacent places of Wellsville, Utah|