Welsh Affairs Select Committee
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The Welsh Affairs Select Committee (or simply the 'Welsh Affairs Committee') is a select committee of the House of Commons in the Parliament of the United Kingdom. The remit of the Committee is to examine the expenditure, administration and policy of the Wales Office, and relations with the Welsh Assembly.
At the start of the 2005–2010 Parliament, the committee's membership was:
|Dr. Hywel Francis MP (Chair)||Labour||Aberavon|
|Stephen Crabb MP||Conservative||Preseli Pembrokeshire|
|David Davies MP||Conservative||Monmouth|
|Nia Griffith MP||Labour||Llanelli|
|Sian James MP||Labour||Swansea East|
|David Jones MP||Conservatives||Clwyd West|
|Martyn Jones MP||Labour||Clwyd South|
|Madeleine Moon MP||Labour||Bridgend|
|Betty Williams MP||Labour||Conwy|
|Mark Williams MP||Liberal Democrat||Ceredigion|
|Hywel Williams MP||Plaid Cymru||Caernarfon|
Changes between 2005 and 2010 are not known.
At the dissolution of the 2010–2015 Parliament, the committee's membership was:
Occasionally, the House of Commons orders changes to be made in terms of membership of select committees, as proposed by the Committee of Selection. Such changes are shown below.
|2 November 2010||Glyn Davies MP (Conservative)||Montgomeryshire||→||Stuart Andrew MP (Conservative)||Pudsey||Hansard|
|22 November 2010||Nia Griffith MP (Labour)||Llanelli||→||Siân James MP (Labour)||Swansea East||Hansard|
|27 June 2011||Alun Cairns MP (Conservative)||Vale of Glamorgan||→||Robin Walker MP (Conservative)||Worcester||Hansard|
|28 November 2011||Owen Smith MP (Labour)||Pontypridd||→||Nia Griffith MP (Labour)||Llanelli||Hansard|
|5 November 2012||Stuart Andrew MP (Conservative)||Pudsey||→||Glyn Davies MP (Conservative)||Montgomeryshire||Hansard|
|26 November 2012||Susan Jones MP (Labour)||Clwyd South||→||Stephen Doughty MP (Labour)||Cardiff South and Penarth||Hansard|
|3 December 2012||Robin Walker MP (Conservative)||Worcester||→||Simon Hart MP (Conservative)||Carmarthen West and South Pembrokeshire||Hansard|
At the start of the 2015–2017 Parliament Committee's only membership was:
Source: Welsh Affairs Committee
The Committee's membership consists of:
|David Davies MP (Chair)||Conservative||Monmouth|
|Tonia Antoniazzi MP||Labour||Gower|
|Guto Bebb MP||Conservative||Aberconwy|
|Geraint Davies||Labour||Swansea West|
|Susan Elan Jones MP||Labour||Clwyd South|
|Ben Lake MP||Plaid Cymru||Ceredigion|
|Jack Lopresti MP||Conservative||Filton and Bradley Stoke|
|Anna McMorrin MP||Labour||Cardiff North|
|Jonathan Edwards MP||Plaid Cymru||Carmarthen East and Dinefwr|
Following criticism of both an unfilled committee and an all-male lineup, Tonia Antoniazzi, Anna McMorrin, Simon Hoare, Liz Saville Roberts and Stephen Kinnock joined the committee in October 2017. Thelma Walker replaced Stephen Kinnock on 8 January 2018. Walker was then replaced by Susan Elan Jones on 5 February 2018 following criticism of Labour allowing an MP for an English seat to sit on the committee. Guto Bebb joined the committee on 22 October 2018, replacing Glyn Davies. Jack Lopresti joined the committee in November 2018, replacing Simon Hoare.
List of chairs
|Leo Abse||25 January 1980||20 November 1981|
|Donald Anderson||20 November 1981||13 May 1983|
|Gareth Wardell||9 June 1983||21 March 1997|
|Martyn Jones||14 July 1997||13 July 2005|
|Hywel Francis||13 July 2005||6 May 2010|
|David Davies||10 June 2010||Present |
[Note 1] Office officially vacant from 30 March 2015 to 18 June 2015 and from 3 May 2017 to 7 July 2017.
- "Role - Welsh Affairs Committee". UK Parliament. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- House of Commons Welsh Affairs Committee (28 July 2005). Manufacturing and Trade in Wales and Public Services Ombudsman (Wales) Bill: Government Responses to the Committee’s Second and Third Reports of Session 2004–05 (PDF) (Report). Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Welsh Affairs Committee membership at the end of Parliament 2010-15". UK Parliament. 30 March 2015. Retrieved 17 January 2015.
- "Membership". Welsh Affairs Committee. UK Parliament. Retrieved 27 September 2019.
- "'Apathetic' Welsh Labour MPs blasted for lack of interest in scrutiny role". Nation.cymru. 10 September 2017. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Committee roles for Davies, Davies, Davies (and Davies)". BBC News. 11 September 2017. Retrieved 17 January 2017.
- John Bercow, Speaker. "Business without Debate". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). 629. United Kingdom: House of Commons. col. 686–687.
- John Bercow, Speaker. "Committees". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). 630. United Kingdom: House of Commons.
- "Welsh Affairs". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). 634. United Kingdom: House of Commons. 8 January 2018.
- Sir Lindsay Hoyle, Deputy Speaker (5 February 2018). "Business without Debate". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). 635. United Kingdom: House of Commons. col. 1310–1310.
- "Welsh Labour struggles to find voice on committee". BBC News. 9 January 2018. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- Eleanor Laing, Deputy Speaker (22 October 2018). "Business without Debate". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard). 648. United Kingdom: House of Commons.
- "Jack Lopresti MP". UK Parliament. Retrieved 17 January 2019.
- "Simon Hoare MP". UK Parliament. Retrieved 17 January 2019.