Welsh Language Commissioner
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (June 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The role of the Welsh Language Commissioner (Welsh: Comisiynydd y Gymraeg) was created by the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011 on 1 April 2012 with the appointment of Meri Huws as Wales' first Commissioner. The Commissioner's work is politically independent.
The Welsh Language Commissioner's main aim is to promote and facilitate the use of the Welsh language. This entails raising awareness of the official status of the Welsh language in Wales and by imposing standards on organisations. This, in turn, will lead to the establishment of rights for Welsh speakers.
According to the Commissioner's website, there are two principles that underpin the work of the Commissioner, namely,
- Welsh should not be treated less favourably than the English language in Wales
- People should be able to live their lives in Wales through the medium of Welsh if they so wish.
The Commissioner's Role
The Commissioner may do anything she considers appropriate to:
- Promote the use of Welsh
- Facilitate the use of Welsh
- Work towards ensuring that the Welsh language will be treated as equally as English.
This includes promoting opportunities to use Welsh and encourage best practice in the use of Welsh by people dealing with other persons, or providing services to other persons. Areas of her work also includes legal issues, preparing and publishing reports, research, educational activities and written recommendations to Ministers of the Government of Wales. She can also give advice to people.
- "Language board chief Meri Huws is Welsh commissioner". 5 October 2011. Retrieved 18 November 2016 – via BBC News.
- "About the Member - Meri Huws". International Association of Language Commissioners. International Association of Language Commissioners. Retrieved 18 November 2016.
- Mesur y Gymraeg (Cymru) 2011, Gwefan Comisiynydd y Gymraeg, retrieved 18 May 2012
- Aim of the Welsh Language Commissioner, Gwefan Comisiynydd y Gymraeg, retrieved 18 May 2012