Welterweight is a weight class in combat sports. Originally the term "welterweight" was used only in boxing, but other combat sports like Muay Thai, taekwondo and mixed martial arts also use it for their own weight division system to classify the opponents. In most sports that use it, welterweight is heavier than lightweight but lighter than middleweight.
A welterweight boxer's weight is greater than 63.5 kg (140 lb), but less than 67 kg (147 lb).
|Sanctioning body||Reign began||Champion||Record||Defenses|
|WBA (Regular)||January 16, 2015||Keith Thurman||26-0-0-1 (22 KO)||2|
|IBF||August 16, 2014||Kell Brook||35-0 (24 KO)||2|
|WBO||July 6, 2015||Timothy Bradley||32-1-1-1 (12 KO)||0|
Current The Ring magazine welterweight rankings Updated 4 August 2015
|1||Kell Brook||35-0 (24 KO)||IBF|
|2||Manny Pacquiao||57-6-2 (38 KO)|
|3||Amir Khan||31-3 (19 KO)|
|4||Timothy Bradley||32-1-1 (12 KO)||WBO|
|5||Keith Thurman||26-0 (22 KO)||WBA (Regular)|
|6||Shawn Porter||26-1-1 (16 KO)|
|7||Diego Gabriel Chaves||23-2-1 (19 KO)|
|8||Sadam Ali||22-0 (13 KO)|
|9||Danny García||31-0 (18 KO)|
|10||Errol Spence||18-0 (15 KO)|
The weight division system is different in each organisation, so the kickboxing weight divisions of some international organizations vary:
- International Kickboxing Federation (IKF), welterweight (Pro & Amateur) 142.1 lbs. - 147 lbs.(64.6 kg - 66.8 kg)
- International Sport Karate Association (ISKA), welterweight 142.1–147 pounds (64.6–66.8 kg)
- World Kickboxing Association (WKA), welterweight (Pro) upper limit 147.4 pounds (67 kg)
- In Glory promotion, a welterweight division is up to 77 kg (170 lb).
Mixed martial arts
Other sports to include a welterweight division include the following,
- Muay Thai has fixed its weight division similarly to boxing.
- International Kickboxing Federation (IKF): Muay Thai Welterweight (Pro & Amateur) 142.1 lbs. - 147 lbs.(64.59 kg - 66.8 kg)
- World Muay Thai Council (WMC), welterweight range is from 140 pounds (63.5 kg) to 147 pounds (66.6 kg)
- World Muay Thai Federation (WMF), the official amateur organization, fixed welterweight from 63.5 to 67 kg for adult; the junior category is the same as adult
- The official rules of shoot boxing define welterweights as between 65 and 67 kg (143.3 to 147.7 lb).
- In Olympic taekwondo, welterweight falls between 74 and 80 kg. At the weight classes for the Olympic games it is between 68 and 80 kg.
References and notes
|Look up welterweight in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
- "Classes & Divisions". HolyTrinityBoxing.com. Retrieved 17 April 2013.
- "IKF WEIGHT CLASSES". IKFKickboxing.com. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "INTERNATIONAL SPORT KARATE & KICKBOXING ASSOCIATION" (PDF). ISKAWorldHQ.com. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "WKA USA - Official Rulebook". WKAUSA.com. Retrieved 20 April 2013.
- "Fighters Rankings". gloryworldseries.com.
- "Nevada Revised Statutes: CHAPTER 467 - UNARMED COMBAT". http://www.leg.state.nv.us. Retrieved 2007-02-20.
- "UNIFIED RULES OF MMA". ABCBoxing.com. Retrieved 2012-07-15.