Wende Correctional Facility
3040 Wende Road |
Alden, New York
1923 (as county jail) |
1983 (as state prison)
|Managed by||New York State Department of Corrections and Community Supervision|
Wende Correctional Facility is a maximum security prison located in Town of Alden in Erie County, New York, east of Buffalo. The prison is named for this region of Alden. The prison was formerly the site of a county jail operated by Erie County, New York and sold to the state to further its need for a maximum security state prison. The Erie County Correctional Facility was built adjacent to Wende.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Jack Abbott - criminal and author. He committed suicide at Wende in 2002.
- Jimmy Burke - mastermind of the Lufthansa Heist. Burke was imprisoned in Wende until his death in 1996.
- Robert Chambers - the "Preppie Killer." He was imprisoned in Wende in 2008 and later transferred.
- Mark David Chapman - the killer of former Beatles member John Lennon. Chapman was transferred from Attica Correctional Facility to Wende on May 15, 2012.
- David Sweat - who killed a Broome County sheriff's officer and then led an escape from Clinton Correctional Facility in 2015, was transferred to Wende in April, 2018.
|This article about a building or structure in New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States prison is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|