|Construction began||by 1973|
|Dam and spillways|
|Height (foundation)||15 m (49 ft)|
|Length||260 m (850 ft)|
|Dam volume||70,000 m3 (2,500,000 cu ft)|
|Active capacity||1.52×106 m3 (54×106 cu ft)|
|Surface area||8.5 ha (21 acres)|
Wendebach Reservoir (German: Wendebachstausee) is an artificial lake with a surrounding recreation park (Erholungspark Wendebach) in the municipalities of Gleichen and Friedland, Lower Saxony, Germany, about 8 km south of Göttingen. It is a popular summer outing goal for residents and students of Göttingen. There is a swimming beach and dock. In addition, there are some park facilities such as a first-aid post, grills, a food stall and outhouses. The reservoir is used by anglers.
The reservoir was created in 1973 by the damming of the Wendebach stream, a tributary of the Leine, with an earth dam. Original work on this flood control project began in 1967. Its surface area is up to 8.5 hectares.
In the summer of 2010, the Ministry for the Environment announced that the reservoir does not provide flood protection and that the dam is unstable and must be removed. Nevertheless, after political pressure, the situation was re-evaluated, and a removal of the top part of the dam has been declared adequate when combined with some re-building. As a result, the reservoir will be retained. The reworking of the dam ran from 2014 into 2015. The facility was re-opened to the public on 7 June 2016.
- Wachgebiet Wendebachstausee by the DLRG at www.goettingen.dlrg.de. Accessed on 29 May 2011.
- Angelbilder vom Wendebachstausee at www.wefish.de. Accessed on 29 May 2011.
- Minister Sander: Wendebachstausee gerettet by the Göttinger Tageblatt at www.goettinger-tageblatt.de. Accessed on 29 May 2011.
- Umweltministerium will Wendebachstausee auslaufen lassen by the Göttinger Tageblatt at www.goettinger-tageblatt.de. Accessed on 29 May 2011.
- Wendebachstausee: FDP weist Kritik an Umweltministerium zurück by Lutz Knopek MP (FDP) at www.lutz-knopek.de. Accessed on 29 May 2011.
- Information and photographs about the reservoir at www.goest.de. Accessed 29 May 2011. (German)
- Nature trail information at www.goettingerland.de. Accessed 29 May 2011. (German)
|This Göttingen district location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|