Wendeen H. Eolis
|Wendeen H. Eolis|
|Born||October 13, 1944 (age 72)
New York City, New York, U.S.
|World Series of Poker|
Main Event finish
|World Poker Tour|
Wendeen H. Eolis (born October 13, 1944) is Chair of Eolis International Group, an attorney search and legal/government affairs consultancy (specializing in partner searches, legal counsel retentions, and attorney career transitions), founder of Eolis Institute for Leadership, an executive leadership consultancy (specializing in negotiation, decision strategies, and executive coaching), and founder of Wendeen Eolis Enterprises, a legal/ business affairs consultancy responsible for setting policy and spearheading EOLIS business operations. Eolis is consulted as a special advisor to corporate boards in evaluation and vetting of lawyers/law firms.
Eolis’ public service includes assignments in New York City, New York State, federal and international venues. She currently serves as Chief Operating Officer in command of Hope’s Champion Task Force. This post 9.11 disaster operations/recovery initiative advises U.S. government and overseas officials, principally, in the evaluation and retention of critical legal counsel in the aftermath of catastrophes. Eolis has previously served as a special advisor to Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani and as first assistant and senior advisor to Governor George E. Pataki (NY).
She was elected president of the Association of Personnel Services of New York State, and thereafter served as chairman of the board of the National Association of Legal Search Consultants. She also has been a member of the board of directors of various not for profit organizations and community projects, including WNYC, and, currently, New Yorkers for Children.
Eolis was a pioneer for women in major poker competition. In 2008, she was elected Chairman of the World Poker Association, serving until midsummer, when she accepted a role as a legal consultant in the upcoming U.S. presidential elections. Eolis has served as a member of the Players Advisory Council of the World Series of Poker (WSOP) since 2006 and was the Chair of the WSOP International Players Advisory Council.She is referenced by the WSOP as the “Grand Dame of Poker.“ 
Additionally, Eolis is a lecturer and seminar leader and an instructor on UStream for New York's Learning Annex, where she teaches people reading principles for use in business, politics, and poker. She is also a journalist; writing for professional trade journals and poker media.
Law and business
Born in New York City, Eolis began her career establishing an attorney placement desk right after graduation from New York University (B.A 1967, philosophy major). In 1969 she founded Eolis, Inc., the first placement and consulting firm strictly for "practicing lawyers."  She specializes in counseling lawyers, executives, and "specialized talent" in law, business, government affairs, management issues, counsel selection, attorney staffing, career transitions, negotiation strategies, and media relations and advises on post-disaster human resources initiatives.
Eolis heads a network of affiliates that perform partner searches, law firm mergers and various legal consulting assignments related to law practice management, legal affairs crisis management, law department evaluations, and legal fee reviews. She also counsels and coaches lawyers, politicians and clients of legal services.
Eolis has been a pioneer and an activist in the recruiting-executive search industry for 4+ decades. I(n 1974 she was the first woman and youngest president of the Association of Personnel Consultants of New York State(APCNY). In 1975 she was the youngest member on the Board of Directors of the National Association of Personnel Consultants and in the same year the youngest recipient of "APCNY's Industry Service Award, for "lifetime achievement." In 1984, she founded and served as the first president of the National Association of Legal Search Consultants (NALSC). She has also been a recipient of the NALSC's "Distinguished Service Award."
In 2006, she founded Eolis Institute Institute for Leadership, which produces executive leadership workshops and teaches Eolis "12 Steps to "People Reading Excellence". She lectures on negotiation and presentation techniques, often using her experience gained at poker tables.
Politics and government
Eolis has been involved in politics since the 70's; initially as president of APCNY, in the development of updated legislation regarding the executive recruiting industry. While president of APCNY, Ms. Eolis was recognized with a "special citation" by the New York State Senate for her contribution to the modernization of employment agency laws in New York State. In the late 80's she was involved in Giuliani's initial Mayoral campaign, then, after his first election on his transition team, and later as an advisor in City Hall operations, including: communications, law department, and personnel matters. Eolis served in the Pataki Administration (appointment 1995) as first assistant to the governor and senior advisor on "special projects" including personnel matters,rent deregulation, and gaming issues. Since 9.11, she has overseen Hope’s Champion Task Force, which works with government representatives and others on emergency preparedness personnel and counseling programs for disaster recovery.
Gaming industry consulting
Eolis provides specialized consulting services to casinos, gaming properties, and tournament organizing companies with regard to event contracts, regulatory affairs, counsel selection, and tournament consulting, among her various natters. She also does special reports related to the operations of offline and online gaming companies in connection with government affairs assignments. She analyses, lectures, and writes periodically on online gaming matters including the impact of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act and casino regulations in Nevada and other states.
In September 2010, Eolis was a finalist in the nominations for the London-based Women in Gaming Awards and in October 2010 Eolis was a moderator at the inaugural Monaco iGaming conference, sponsored by the principality and HRH Prince Albert of Monaco.
Eolis has "cashed" a total of seven times at the World Series of Poker (WSOP)  and was appointed to the World Series of Poker Players Advisory Council (PAC) in 2006. She was the first woman to cash in the main event of the WSOP (1986) and the first one to do it twice (1993). She has since cashed at the WSOP in 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007, and 2009. The WSOP issued a commemorative chip for her "milestone" for women (1996) and in 2007, Commissioner of the WSOP, Jeffrey Pollack, dubbed Eolis the "grand dame of poker". Eolis also won the European Open No Limit Hold'em Tournament in 1990 and has cashed in the World Poker Tour, and the United States Poker Championship. Eolis was elected to the Professional Poker Tour (2004–05).
Eolis’ published writings include articles for the New York Law Journal , Women’s Business of New York, Poker Player Newspaper, and Bluff Magazine, among others. Eolis has written numerous articles on the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2006 (UIGEA) and subsequent congressional proposals to reverse the UIGEA legislation. She is the author of Power Poker Dame, and People Reading Secrets.
Articles that feature Eolis have appeared in a wide range of publications including: The New York Times (February 6, 1989, January 6, 1991, November 20, 2000, February 9, 2003 ), GQ Magazine, Women’s business, NY Daily News, and The National Enquirer among others. She has been featured on A&E Biography, the BBC Documentary, Rudy: Mayor of America, Court TV, and various televised poker shows including: the World Poker Tour’s Ladies Night II and GSN’s series Poker Royale: Battle of the Ages. She is also featured in Playing with the Big Boys (Van Vleet and Norris, 2002, Ecw) and WSOP Ladies Champion Susie Isaacs' book, Queens Can Beat Kings (Lyle Stuart, 2007).
All information provided above is available on the Internet and Nexis news searches and also is included on the official websites of eolis.com and wendeeneolis.com (in press clips, links and/or summaries).
- "Eolis International Group".
- "The American Lawyer – Legal Recruiters Directory – 2013, retrieved on 03/09/2016".
- "Eolis Leadership Institute".
- "Wendeen Eolis Enterprises".
- "Counsel Selection page on Eolis.com".
- "Task Force Commander, Eolis.com".
- "The New York Times, "Executives Ante Up, and Win Some Skills", Marci Alboher, February 9, 2003".
- "Wendeen H. Eolis page on Eolis.com".
- "New Yorkers for Children, Our Board".
- "Community Affairs, Eolis.com".
- "The New York Times, "James McManus on the World Series of Poker", James McManus, July 1, 2005".
- "NY Daily News, "She is a Game Player: politics and poker are joy to blue-chip Manhattan exec", Virginia Breen, July 10, 1999". New York.
- "Bluff Magazine, "World Poker Association Names Wendeen Eolis Chairman ", Lance Bradley, April 2, 2008".
- "Poker Player Newspaper, "New WPA Chairman Wendeen H. Eolis Turns up the Heat", April 2, 2008".
- "Poker News daily, "Tom Franklin Elected Chairman of World Poker Association Board", Dan Cypra, January 28, 2009".
- "PokerNews.com, "Lunch with Jack Effel: Changes to the 2008 WSOP, Part 1", Matt Savage, February 22, 2008".
- "Poker Player Newspaper, "WSOP Announces Formation of International Players Advisory Council", Joseph Smith, May 30, 2007".
- "The New York Times, "THE LAW; Now, Enter The 'Media Adviser,' A New Line Of Defense For The Sophisticated Legal Firm", David Margolick, February 24, 1989".
- "Wendeen Eolis profile on world-series-poker.co.uk".
- "Dystel & Goderich Literary Management: Newsletter Number 37".
- "Wendeen Eolis Class Preview – Negotiating a Job Offter with the Eolis People Reading System".
- "Print Articles By Eolis".
- "Gaming Media Articles".
- Continental Profiles Magazine (Continental Airlines), "Corporate Counsel, Profile: Wendeen H. Eolis", Amy C. Pershing, October 1989
- "The AmLaw Litigation Daily, "Layoff Report: Litigators Feel the Pinch, But Not as Severely as Their Corporate Colleagues", David Bario, February 26, 2009".
- "The New York Times, "A Headhunter Finds 2 Heads Are Acquainted", William Glaberson, February 6, 1989".
- The Learning Annex Magazine, "The Grand Dame", page 2, December 2007 – March 2008
- "NOPAC Talent, Wendeen Eolis Bio".
- New York Law Journal, April 03, 1995 (page 1) Eolis's appointment to the Executive Chamber
- "Facing the Firing Squad: Wendeen Eolis".
- "Gaming Grand Dame".
- "Barney Frank Raises the Ante – pokerplayernewspaper.com – retrieved on 06/17/2010".
- "Monaco iGaming Exchanges Conference programme - retrieved on 03/09/2016".
- "The Winners in the Battle for I-Gaming in America will be… - live-production.tv – retrieved on 03/09/2016".
- "World Series of Poker Player Profile".
- "Poker News – Player Profile".
- "Silver State Treasures, Eolis commemorative chip 1996".
- "World Series of Poker, "The Home Stretch", Jeffrey Pollock, July 9, 2007, Harrah's Entertainment, Inc.". Retrieved July 18, 2009.
- ""The Poker MBA", Jeffrey Gitomer and Greg Dinkin, Crown Business,2002, Back Cover".
- "World Poker Tour Player Profile".
- "The Hendon Mob Poker Database, Poker Porfile".
- "Poker Player Newspaper, "Lucky You", Wendeen H. Eolis, June 13, 2005".
- "The New York Times, "THE LAW; Now, Enter The 'Media Adviser,' A New Line Of Defense For The Sophisticated Legal Firm", David Margolick, February 24, 1989". February 24, 1989.
- "Poker Player Newspaper, Articles by Wendeen Eolis".
- "Bluff Magazine, "Poker in Paris: 1st Class" Wendeen H. Eolis, October, 2004".
- "Articles by Wendeen H. Eolis".
- "Eolis International Group, "Media Center"".
- "The New York Times, "Managing; Doing Business in Hard Times", Deborah L. Jacobs, January 6, 1991". January 6, 1991.
- "The New York Times, "Where Poor Table Manners Can Quickly Cost a Fortune", Paul Zielbauer, November 20, 2000". November 20, 2000.
- "Wendeen H. Eolis, News Features, "Chicks with Decks(excerpt)", GQ Magazine".
- "WomensBiz.us, "The Fizz:Wendeen H. Eolis". Retrieved on July 18, 2010.
- "Card-shark Granny is Queen Among Poker Kings – National Enquirer – January 22, 1991".
- "Wendeen H. Eolis, News Features, A&E Biography Close up, July 31, 2000, You Want to Bet?, producer Jonathan Talmadge".
- "Yahoo TV, You Want to Bet? 2000-present, producer Jonathan Talmadge".
- BBC America, 2002, producer Celia Lowenstein, narrator – Sir Harold Evans
- Court TV, April 6, 2000, Nancy Grace – Wendeen Eolis, 11AM-12PM