|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania|
November 21, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Michael M. Baylson|
|Born||1961 (age 55–56)
|Education||University of Liverpool B.A.
University of Pennsylvania Law School J.D.
Wendy Beetlestone (born 1961) is a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Beetlestone received a Bachelor of Arts degree, cum laude, in 1984 from Liverpool University. She received a Juris Doctor in 1993 from the University of Pennsylvania Law School. She began her legal career as a law clerk for Judge Robert S. Gawthrop III, of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, from 1993 to 1994. From 1994 to 2002, she worked at the law firm of Schnader, Harrison, Segal & Lewis LLP, becoming a partner in 2001. From 2002 to 2005, she served as General Counsel of the School District of Philadelphia. From 2005 to 2014, she had been a shareholder at the law firm of Hangley, Aronchick, Segal, Pudlin & Schiller, where she litigated a variety of commercial matters before both Federal and State courts.
Federal judicial service
On June 16, 2014, President Obama nominated Beetlestone to serve as a United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, to the seat vacated by Judge Michael M. Baylson, who took senior status on July 13, 2012. On July 24, 2014 a hearing before the United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary was held on her nomination. On September 18, 2014 her nomination was reported out of committee by voice vote. On November 18, 2014 Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid filed for cloture on her nomination. On Wednesday November 19, 2014 cloture was invoked by a vote of 58-38. On Thursday, November 20, 2014 the Senate confirmed her nomination by voice vote. She received her judicial commission on November 21, 2014.
- "President Obama Announces Intent to Nominate Five to Serve on the United States District Courts". 13 June 2014.
- "Beetlestone, Wendy - Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Presidential Nominations Sent to the Senate". 16 June 2014.
- "United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary". www.judiciary.senate.gov.
- "Results of Executive Business Meeting - September 18, 2014 United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary" (PDF).
- "U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress - 2nd Session". Vote Summary: Vote Number 286. United States Senate. Retrieved 19 November 2014.
Michael M. Baylson
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania