Wendy Craig (psychologist)
Wendy Marion Craig
|Alma mater||York University|
|Thesis||Naturalistic observations of bullies and victims in the school yard|
|Academic advisors||Debra Pepler|
Wendy Marion Craig clinical-developmental psychologist known for her research and advocacy in the field of childhood bullying. She is a professor in the Department of Psychology at Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, Canada.is a Canadian
Craig completed a Bachelor of Arts degree at the University of British Columbia in 1985 and a Master of Arts degree from York University in 1989. In 1993, Craig earned her Ph.D. in clinical developmental psychology from York University, under the supervision of Dr. Debra Pepler. For her doctoral dissertation, entitled Naturalistic observations of bullies and victims in the school yard, Craig recorded the interactions of elementary school students and described their bullying experiences (including where incidents occurred and how frequently adults intervened).
Craig has published widely on issues related to children's social relationships, including such topics as bullying, cyberbullying, and children's mental health. She also regularly contributes her expertise to television, radio, and print media. In 1997, she and Pepler appeared on an episode of the Oprah Winfrey Show to discuss their work on bullying.
In 2006, Craig and Pepler co-founded Promoting Relationships and Eliminating Violence Network (PREVNet), a collaboration between academics and community organizations dedicated to the prevention of childhood bullying and the promotion of healthy relationships.
Awards and honours
- Craig, Wendy M.; Pepler, Debra J. (1998). "Observations of Bullying and Victimization in the School Yard". Canadian Journal of School Psychology. 13 (2): 41–59. doi:10.1177/082957359801300205. S2CID 143765627.
- O'Connell, Paul; Pepler, Debra; Craig, Wendy (1999). "Peer involvement in bullying: Insights and challenges for intervention". Journal of Adolescence. 22 (4): 437–452. doi:10.1006/jado.1999.0238. PMID 10469508.
- Craig, Wendy M.; Pepler, Debra; Atlas, Rona (2000). "Observations of Bullying in the Playground and in the Classroom". School Psychology International. 21: 22–36. doi:10.1177/0143034300211002. S2CID 146140435.
- Craig, Wendy M.; Henderson, Kathryn; Murphy, Jennifer G. (2000). "Prospective Teachers' Attitudes toward Bullying and Victimization". School Psychology International. 21: 5–21. doi:10.1177/0143034300211001. S2CID 144960838.
- Janssen, I.; Craig, W. M.; Boyce, W. F.; Pickett, W. (2004). "Associations Between Overweight and Obesity with Bullying Behaviors in School-Aged Children". Pediatrics. 113 (5): 1187–1194. doi:10.1542/peds.113.5.1187. PMID 15121928.
- Craig, Wendy; Harel-Fisch, Yossi; Fogel-Grinvald, Haya; Dostaler, Suzanne; Hetland, Jorn; Simons-Morton, Bruce; Molcho, Michal; De Mato, Margarida Gaspar; Overpeck, Mary; Due, Pernille; Pickett, William (2009). "A cross-national profile of bullying and victimization among adolescents in 40 countries". International Journal of Public Health. 54 (Suppl 2): 216–224. doi:10.1007/s00038-009-5413-9. PMC 2747624. PMID 19623475.
- Holmes, Gillian (1999). Who's who of Canadian women, 1999-2000. Toronto, Ont.: University of Toronto Press. p. 222. ISBN 978-1-4426-8345-7. OCLC 288093315.
- "York researchers are helping to change the way we think about bullying, aggression and violence". York University. 2017-01-09. Retrieved 2019-11-17.
- Craig, Wendy (1993). Naturalistic observations of bullies and victims in the school yard. Doctoral dissertation, York University.
- Craig, Wendy M.; Pepler, Debra J. (1998). "Observations of Bullying and Victimization in the School Yard". Canadian Journal of School Psychology. 13 (2): 41–59. doi:10.1177/082957359801300205. ISSN 0829-5735. S2CID 143765627.
- "Wendy Craig | Department of Psychology". www.queensu.ca. Retrieved 2019-11-17.
- "York University professor to appear today on oprah to share expertise/advice on bullying with 20 million viewers". York University. 1997-11-14. Retrieved 2019-11-24.
- Government of Canada, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (2012-05-11). "Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council". www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca. Retrieved 2019-11-25.
- "About | PREVNet - Canada's authority on bullying". www.prevnet.ca. Retrieved 2019-11-17.
- "Nine professors named Royal Society Fellows". Queen's Gazette | Queen's University. 2014-09-09. Retrieved 2019-11-18.
- Marciniak, Mandy (2016-02-03). "Queen's professor receives Order of Ontario for work on bullying prevention". The Hamilton Spectator. ISSN 1189-9417. Retrieved 2019-11-17.
- "Rideau Hall announces 2018 Order of Canada appointments". Retrieved 2019-11-17.