Wendy L. Martinez
Wendy L. Martinez (née Poston) is an American statistician. She directs the Mathematical Statistics Research Center of the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and is the coordinating editor of the journal Statistics Surveys (jointly sponsored by four major statistical societies). In 2018, Martinez was elected president of the American Statistical Association for the 2020 term.
With Angel R. Martinez, she is the author of two books on MATLAB-based computational statistics and exploratory data analysis: Computational Statistics Handbook with MATLAB (CRC Press, 2002; 2nd ed., 2007; 3rd ed., 2015), and Exploratory Data Analysis with MATLAB (CRC Press, 2004; 2nd ed., with Jeffrey Solka, 2010).
Wendy Poston was an undergraduate at Cameron University, graduating in 1989 with a double major in mathematics and physics. She earned a master's degree in aerospace engineering at George Washington University and the NASA Langley Research Center in 1991, and a Ph.D. in computational sciences and informatics, specializing in computational statistics, from George Mason University in 1995. Her dissertation, supervised by Edward Wegman, was Optimal Subset Selection Methods. She was a program officer at the Office of Naval Research beginning in 1997, and has also held adjunct faculty positions at Strayer University and George Mason University.
Martinez was elected as a Fellow of the American Statistical Association in 2006, and as a member of the International Statistical Institute in 2007. In 2017, she won the Founders Award of the American Statistical Association, "for outstanding leadership and support of statistical and multidisciplinary research that achieved technological development in the areas of defense and national security; for a sustained commitment to the ASA and the profession through service in multiple sections, local chapters, and committees, especially in the areas of computational statistics, government statistics, social statistics, and defense and national security; for editorial work, including as a coordinating editor of Statistics Surveys; and for support of statistical education opportunities for minorities and women."
- Office of Survey Methods Research, Bureau of Labor Statistics, retrieved 2017-11-27
- Statistics Surveys, Institute of Mathematical Statistics, retrieved 2017-11-27
- Bureau of Labor Statistics' Wendy Martinez Elected ASA President, American Statistical Association, May 8, 2018, retrieved 2018-05-27
- Reviews of Computational Statistics Handbook with MATLAB:
- Kushler, Robert H (November 2002), Technometrics, 44 (4): 405–406, doi:10.1198/tech.2002.s89, JSTOR 1271563, S2CID 207016298CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Dunn, P. K. (June 2003), Biometrics, 59 (2): 462–463, JSTOR 3695534CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Wikle, Christopher K. (June 2004), Journal of the American Statistical Association, 99 (466): 566, doi:10.1198/jasa.2004.s338, JSTOR 27590422, S2CID 120062086CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Michailidis, George (2004), Journal of Statistical Software, 11, Book Review 6, doi:10.18637/jss.v011.b06CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Biometrics, 65 (1): 338, March 2009, doi:10.1111/j.1541-0420.2009.01208_16.x, JSTOR 25502287CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Verzani, John (August 2009), "Book Reviews", SIAM Review, 51 (3): 654–656, doi:10.1137/siread000051000003000639000001, JSTOR 25662329
- Jain, Varinder (October 2009), Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 172 (4): 942–943, doi:10.1111/j.1467-985x.2009.00614_14.x, JSTOR 20622568CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Reviews of Exploratory Data Analysis with MATLAB:
- Hannachi, A. (March 2006), Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A, 169 (2): 390–391, doi:10.1111/j.1467-985x.2006.00414_10.x, JSTOR 3559689CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Jersky, Brian (March 2006), Journal of the American Statistical Association, 101 (473): 399–400, doi:10.1198/jasa.2006.s82, JSTOR 30047483, S2CID 122811393CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Kushler, Robert H (May 2006), Technometrics, 48 (2): 311, doi:10.1198/tech.2006.s392, JSTOR 25471179, S2CID 27377525CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Davis-Stober, Clintin; Broomell, Stephen; Lorenz, Florian (March 2007), Psychometrika, 72 (1): 107–108, doi:10.1007/s11336-005-1362-2, S2CID 121670326CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Álvarez P., Adolfo (November 2011), International Statistical Review, 79 (3): 492, doi:10.1111/j.1751-5823.2011.00159_13.x, JSTOR 41305073CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Maronna, Ricardo (April 2013), Statistical Papers, 55 (3): 913–914, doi:10.1007/s00362-013-0518-x, S2CID 57262651CS1 maint: untitled periodical (link)
- Curriculum vitae (PDF), retrieved 2017-11-27
- Wendy L. Martinez at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- ASA Fellows list, American Statistical Association, retrieved 2017-11-27
- Individual members, International Statistical Institute, retrieved 2017-11-23
- Founders Award, American Statistical Association, retrieved 2017-11-27
- Probability & Statistics, home page for Wendy and Angel Martinez