||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (August 2010)|
Wendy Melvoin in 2006
|Born||January 26, 1964|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Genres||Alternative, funk, R&B, rock, pop, new wave, Minneapolis sound|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, arranger, composer, songwriter, record producer|
|Instruments||guitar, bass guitar, drums, vocals|
|Labels||Columbia, SME Records, Virgin, EMI, World Domination|
|Associated acts||The Revolution, Wendy & Lisa|
Wendy Melvoin (born January 26, 1964 in Los Angeles, California) is an American guitarist and singer-songwriter, best known for her work with Prince as part of his backing band The Revolution, and for her collaboration with Lisa Coleman as one half of the duo Wendy & Lisa.
Melvoin and Coleman also composed music for the first season of the TV series Heroes. In September of 2008, they announced that they would release an album consisting entirely of the score from Heroes, entitled Heroes: Original Score. Melvoin and Coleman composed the main title song for Nurse Jackie, for which they were awarded with an Emmy in 2010. As of the middle of November of 2015, 5he duo were currently working on the American TV series Touch.
Melvoin also contributed guitars to Madonna's 2008 album Hard Candy on the song "She's Not Me," and she is mentioned by name during the song.
She contributed heavily to Neil Finn's second solo album One Nil, co-writing many tracks and playing drums and bass on several. She is credited for guitar work on most of the tracks on Rob Thomas's first solo album, ...Something to Be.
Wendy Melvoin is the daughter of late jazz pianist (and former NARAS president) Mike Melvoin who in the 1960s was part of the Los Angeles session musician collective The Wrecking Crew. Her brother, Jonathan Melvoin, was the Smashing Pumpkins touring keyboardist, and her twin sister is singer and composer Susannah Melvoin.
In April 2009, Melvoin gave an interview with Out magazine declaring that she was a lesbian and had a past relationship with Lisa Coleman. Currently, her partner is writer-film director Lisa Cholodenko.
Awards and recognition
- Melvoin's and Coleman's compositions for Heroes closely followed their music-scoring of the previous Tim Kring series, Crossing Jordan, which had starred Jill Hennessy in the lead role.
- Dennis McDougal. "Jazz musicians threaten split after snub on Grammy show". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 1985-03-14. Check date values in:
- Robert Lloyd. "Time of the Session: When the music was fast, and the players anonymous". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2004-04-08.
- Barry Walters. "The Revolution Will Be Harmonized". Out magazine. Retrieved 2009-04-25.
- O'Hehir, Andrew (2010-01-29). "Sundance: Guy-sex and the modern lesbian". Salon. Retrieved 2014-11-08.