August 12, 1974 |
Timberlake, North Carolina
|Listed height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Listed weight||165 lb (75 kg)|
|High school||Person (Roxboro, North Carolina)|
|WNBA draft||1997 / Elite draft|
|Selected by the Utah Starzz|
|Number||14, 4, 3, 0|
|2005||San Antonio Silver Stars|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Stats at WNBA.com|
Born in Timberlake, North Carolina, Palmer attended Person Senior High School in Roxboro, North Carolina, where she was named a High School All-American by the WBCA. She participated in the inaugural WBCA High School All-America Game in 1992, scoring eleven points.
Palmer was named to the team representing the USA at the 1994 William Jones Cup competition in Taipei, Taiwan. The USA team won all eight games, winning the gold medal, but not without close calls. In three games the teams had to come from behind to win. One preliminary game ended up as a single-point victory, and the gold medal game went to overtime before the USA team beat South Korea by a single point, 90–89. Palmer was the leading scorer for the team, averaging 18.9 points per game. She also led the team in rebounding with 9.3 per game.
Palmer took her first coaching position at Virginia Commonwealth University while playing in the WNBA. In 2007, she joined the staff at the University of Kentucky under Coach Matthew Mitchell. She remained there until 2009.
In 2009, Palmer became an assistant coach at the University of Virginia under legendary Coach Debbie Ryan.
In 2011, Palmer became the head women's coach at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- "Women's Basketball Coaches Career". NCAA. Retrieved 26 Sep 2015.
- "Athletics Announces Change In Women's Basketball Leadership". uncgspartans.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Past WBCA HS Coaches' All-America Teams". Women's Basketball Coaches Association. Retrieved 1 Jul 2014.
- "WBCA High School All-America Game Box Scores". Women's Basketball Coaches Association. Retrieved 29 Jun 2014.
- "1994 Women's R. William Jones Cup". USA Basketball. June 10, 2010. Archived from the original on 7 September 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.