Wenfei Fan at the Royal Society admissions day in London, July 2018
|Alma mater||Peking University (BS, MS)|
University of Pennsylvania (PhD)
|Awards||Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award (2018)|
ACM Fellow (2012)
Roger Needham Award (2008)
|Institutions||University of Edinburgh|
|Thesis||Path Constraints for Databases with or without Schemas (1999)|
|Doctoral advisor||Peter Buneman|
Wenfei Fan FRS FRSE MAE (Chinese: 樊文飞) is a computer scientist and Professor of web data management at the University of Edinburgh. His research investigates database theory and database systems. He is also the director of the International Center on Big Data at Beihang University, and the director of the Huawei-Edinburgh Joint Lab for Distributed Data Management and Processing.
Fan was educated at Peking University (BS, MS) and the University of Pennsylvania where he was awarded a PhD in Computer Science for research supervised by Peter Buneman and Scott Weinstein in 1999.
Career and Research
Fan has made fundamental contributions to both theory and practice of data management. He has both formalised the problems of querying big data and has developed radically new techniques that overcome the limits associated with conventional database systems. His work has been adopted in the telecommunications industry for analyzing massive data sets that defied their current technology. In addition, Wenfei has made seminal contributions to data quality, in which he devised new techniques for data cleaning that have found wide commercial adoption. He has also contributed to our understanding of semi-structured data.
Awards and honors
Fan won the Roger Needham Award in 2008 and is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and a Fellow of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)., and a member of Academia Europaea (MAE). and was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in May 2018.
- Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society (FRS) in 2018
- Royal Society Wolfson Research Merit Award (2018)
- 2017 SIGMOD Research Highlight Award (2018)
- Best Paper Award for SIGMOD 2017
- VLDB conference 2017 Best Demo Award
- European Research Council (ERC) Advanced Fellowship, 2015
- Alberto O. Mendelzon Test-of-Time Award for ACM PODS 2015
- Nominated an ACM Fellow, 2012, US
- Elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (FRSE) (Scotland's National Academy of Science and Letters), 2011, UK
- National Professor of the Thousand-Talent Program, 2010, China
- Alberto O. Mendelzon Test-of-Time Award for ACM PODS 2010
- Best Paper Award at the VLDB conference 2010
- The Roger Needham Award, 2008, UK
- Best Paper Award for ICDE 2007
- Yangtze River Scholar, 2007, China
- Best Paper of the Year Award for Computer Networks, 2002
- The Career Award, 2001, USA
- Wenfei Fan at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Wenfei Fan publications indexed by Google Scholar
- "Wenfei Fan". The University of Edinburgh, School of Informatics. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- Wenfei Fan publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- "Members: Chief Scientists". International Research Center on Big Data, Beihang University. Retrieved 1 January 2015.
- "Huawei and the University of Edinburgh Announce Opening of Joint Lab for Distributed Data Management and Processing".
- "Huawei deal to advance expertise in data science".
- Anon (2018). "Professor Wenfei Fan FRS". royalsociety.org. London: Royal Society. One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from the royalsociety.org website where:
All text published under the heading 'Biography' on Fellow profile pages is available under Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License." --Royal Society Terms, conditions and policies at the Wayback Machine (archived 2016-11-11)
- "Prof. Wenfei Fan – Award Winner". Association for Computing Machinery. 2012. Retrieved 1 November 2013.
- "Fan, Wenfei (Membership Number: 4467)". ae-info.org.
- Anon (2018). "Distinguished scientists elected as Fellows and Foreign Members of the Royal Society". royalsociety.org. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- "Proceedings: Awards". Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- "43rd International Conference on Very Large Data Bases-Conference Awards".
- "Wenfei Fan wins ERC Advanced Fellowship". Retrieved 18 May 2018.
- "ACM PODS Alberto O. Mendelzon Test-of-Time Award". ACM. Retrieved 22 May 2017.
- "2012 Fellows Hail from World's Leading Universities and Corporations". ACM. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "2011 Elected Fellows". The Royal Society of Edinburgh. Retrieved 24 May 2017.
- "Proceedings: Awards". Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "BCS Roger Needham Lecture 2008". British Computer Society. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- "Award Winning Staff".
- "CAREER: Integrity Constraints for XML and Beyond".
|This biography of an academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|