Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God... Be Back by Five
|Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God... Be Back by Five|
|Directed by||Richard Schenkman|
|Produced by||Jon Cryer|
|Music by||Midge Ure|
|Edited by||Richard LaBrie|
|Box office||$14,090 (US)|
Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God... Be Back by Five is a 1998 American film directed by Richard Schenkman and written by Schenkman and Jon Cryer. It premiered at the Los Angeles Film Festival.
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (October 2009)|
Daniel (Jon Cryer) and Stan (Rick Stear) search for a childhood friend of theirs - Richie (Rafael Báez), who they believe may be homeless and mentally ill. The film intercuts with flashbacks from their youth to their 30s. Daniel works at a jewelry store that is basically a pawn shop. Stan, who limps as a result of a childhood medical procedure, is a borderline alcoholic and gambler who fights endlessly with his longtime girlfriend, Gabby (Ione Skye).
|Frank Whaley||Skee-Ball Weasel|
|Aesha Waks||Cindy Goldclang|
The title has its origin in a note that Cryer left for his girlfriend after going to look for a former classmate who he heard had become homeless and was living in Coney Island.
Rotten Tomatoes reports that 43% of seven surveyed critics gave the film a positive review; the average rating is 5.4/10. A.O. Scott of The New York Times gave it a mixed review and wrote,"Went to Coney Island never quite comes to dramatic or comic life." Emanuel Levy of Variety wrote that Cryer, Baez, and Stear "give proficient performances that serve the material well, though they can't elevate it to the poignancy and depth intended by the director". Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times called it a "deeply felt, engaging little film" that will stick with audiences after it ends.
- "Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God… (2000)". The Numbers. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Beck, Marilyn; Smith, Stacy Jenel (1998-03-31). "CRYER'S DETERMINATION MAKES FOR HAPPY `CONEY ISLAND' ENDING.(L.A. LIFE)". Los Angeles Daily News. Retrieved 2016-03-22 – via HighBeam Research. (subscription required (. ))
- "Went to Coney Island on a Mission From God...Be Back by Five (1998)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Scott, A. O. (2000-09-08). "Went to Coney Island on a Mission From God Be Back by Five (1998)". The New York Times. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Levy, Emanuel (1998-04-27). "Review: 'Went to Coney Island on a Mission from God ... Be Back by Five'". Variety. Retrieved 2016-03-22.
- Thomas, Kevin (2000-09-15). "'Went to Coney Island" Is a Touching Tale of Friends". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2015-03-22.
- "Jon Cryer: Actor, writer, producer, 'Duckie'". CNN. 1998-10-09. Retrieved 2016-03-22.