Werner G. Krebs
Werner G. Krebs
|Education||Ph.D. Yale University S.B./S.M. University of Chicago|
|Known for||Database of Molecular Motions, GNU Queue|
|Awards||Salzburg Global Fellow, Founder Institute Graduate, IBM Global Entrepreneur|
|Institutions||San Diego Supercomputer Center|
University of California, San Diego
University of Chicago
|Thesis||Database of Macromolecular Motions|
|Doctoral advisor||Mark Gerstein|
|Other academic advisors||James Heckman|
Keith Moffat 
Werner G. Krebs (born ca. 1977) is an American data scientist. He is currently CEO of data science and artificial intelligence startup Acculation, Inc. and has previously held positions at what are now Virtu Financial, Bank of America, and the San Diego Supercomputer Center.
He was initially hired out of high school by the Nobel Laureate James Heckman. A graduate of the University of Chicago and University of Chicago Laboratory Schools, he is a Salzburg Global Fellow, Founder Institute Graduate, and IBM Global Entrepreneur. He resides in Los Angeles.
Krebs and his work have been discussed in news articles in journals, newspapers, books, encyclopedias, official government publications, and internationally in multiple languages over a period spanning more than one decade.
Amongst other things, he is noted for the Database of Molecular Motions which was developed with Mark Gerstein while a PhD Candidate at Yale University. He has also been noted as the original author of GNU Queue, a 2000s-era load balancing and parallel processing system with a simplified in-line interface. Although GNU Queue was decommissioned in 2015 in favor of GNU Parallel, it was originally described in 1998 as having some functionality similar to LSF, which at the time was closed source commercial software. A simplified version of LSF was later open sourced circa 2007, eventually named OpenLava and under a GPL license compatible with GNU Queue. Thus, both GNU Parallel and OpenLava may be considered related GPL’d projects, although the latter is not formally a GNU project. He was an academic, on the faculty at UCSD.
- Database of Macromolecular Motions
- List of grid computing middleware distribution
- List of free and open-source software packages
- Linux Journal article on GNU Queue
- Sourceforge GNU Queue download archive
- Official GNU Queue Project Page (decommissioned)
- Werner G Krebs official profile
- "Werner Krebs". OrcId. OrcId. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Krebs, Werner G. (2002). The database of macromolecular motions : a standardized system for analyzing and visualizing macromolecular motions in a database framework (PhD thesis). Yale University. OCLC 54626123.
- Krebs, Werner G. (1996). Kinetic Analysis and Intermediate Structure Determination from High-Speed Time-Resolved Crystallography (MS thesis). University of Chicago. OCLC 923013077.
- "Bourne Laboratory Personnel". SDSC. SDSC. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Werner G. Krebs". Mathematics Genealogy Project. Retrieved 2015-11-01.
- "Werner G Krebs PhD Speaker Profile". Acculation. Acculation. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Werner Krebs". Yaetdo. Yaetdo. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Heckman's Computation Center". University of Chicago. Archived from the original on April 22, 1999. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Werner G Krebs PhD Academic Bio". Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "President's Report of the Salzburg Global Seminar" (PDF). salzburgglobal.org. Salzburg Global Seminar. OCLC 6374793. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Founder Institute Graduates". fi.co. Founder Institute. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Anonymous (7 May 1999). "Netwatch". Science. 284 (5416): 87. doi:10.1126/science.284.5416.871b.
- Bourne,PE; Murray-Rust, J; Lakey JH (Feb 1999). "Protein-nucleic acid interactions Folding and binding Web alert". Current Opinion in Structural Biology. 9 (1): 9–10. doi:10.1016/s0959-440x(99)90000-3.
- "Career Advice". Orange County Register. 2014-09-30. ISSN 0886-4934. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- "Job Advice". New York Daily News. 2014-10-01. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- Bourne PE, Helge W, eds. (2003). Structural Bioinformatics. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Liss. p. 229. ISBN 978-0-471-20199-1. OCLC 50199108.
- Gu, Jenny; Bourne, Philip E. (March 2009). Structural Bioinformatics (2nd ed.). Wiley-Blackwell. ISBN 0-470-18105-2.
- "Morphs". Proteopeida. Proteopeida. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- Borner (ed.). Knowledge Management and Visualization Tools in Support of Discovery (NSF Workshop Report) (PDF) (Report). National Science Foundation Workshop. p. 5.
- "Press Mentions". Acculation. Acculation. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Brave GNU World". Brave GNU World Japan. Brave GNU World. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "Werner G. Krebs's Google Scholar Profile". Google Scholar. Google Scholar. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "GNU's Who". FSF GNU Project. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "GNU Queue". Linux Journal. 2000 (79). ISSN 1075-3583. OCLC 30034634. Retrieved 2015-10-30.>
- "GNU Queue". FSF GNU Project. Retrieved 2015-10-30.
- "How does GNU Queue compare to LSF?". Yale University. Yale University. Retrieved 2015-12-04.
- "IBM Platform LSF". IBM. IBM. Retrieved 2015-12-04.