|Werner G Jeanrond|
Dr Jeanrond in 2012 at Glasgow University
|Born||Werner Günter Adolf Jeanrond
2 March 1955
Saarbrücken, Saar Protectorate
|Education||Staatsexamen (Saarbrücken), PhD (Chicago), MA (Dublin), MA (Oxford)|
|Alma mater||University of Saarland|
|Employer||St Benet's Hall
University of Oxford
|Spouse(s)||Betty Claesson Jeanrond|
Werner G Jeanrond is a German Roman Catholic theologian. He was born in 1955 in Saarbrücken in the Saar Protectorate, now Saarland, Germany. He is currently Master of St Benet's Hall, a Permanent Private Hall of the University of Oxford, and a member of the Faculty of Theology and Religion. He is the first lay Master in the history of St. Benet's Hall.
Education and Academic Career
Professor Jeanrond studied theology, German language and literature, and educational science at the Universities of Saarbrücken, Regensburg and Chicago. In 1979, he took his Masters Degree (Staatsexamen) at the University of Saarbrücken and in 1984 his PhD at the University of Chicago (under the direction of David Tracy and Paul Ricoeur). In 1985, he was awarded the degree of MA at the University of Dublin.
From 1981 to 1994, he was Lecturer and Senior Lecturer in theology at the University of Dublin and Fellow of Trinity College.From 1995 to 2007, he was Professor of Systematic Theology at the University of Lund in Sweden. While in Lund, he supervised the doctoral dissertation of Antje Jackelén who is now the first woman to be Archbishop of Uppsala and Primate of the Church of Sweden.
From 2008-2012, he was Professor of Divinity holding the 1640 Chair of Divinity at the University of Glasgow. After his departure from Glasgow, he was appointed an Honorary Senior Research Fellow thus maintaining a link with that university. In 2012, he became Master of St Benet's Hall. As an Oxford Head of House, he incepted to the degree of MA from the University of Oxford.
He has academic administrative experience in a number of roles, including as Head of the School of Biblical and Theological Studies in Trinity College Dublin; as Dean of the Faculty of Theology and Vice-Dean of Humanities at Lund University; as elected member of the Swedish Research Council and the Nordic Research Council for the Humanities and Social Sciences; as Research Convenor and Deputy Head of the School of Critical Studies in the University of Glasgow; as a longtime member of the Board and Foundation of Concilium and of many other editorial and academic boards and committees.
Systematic theology (Doctrine of God, Christology, ecclesiology, eschatology, soteriology); theological and philosophical hermeneutics; theological method; theology of religions; theology of love; theology of hope; political theology.
Academic Awards and Honours
Professor Jeanrond was awarded a Fulbright Fellowship for his doctoral studies at the University of Chicago (1979–1981), a research fellowship at the Herzog August Library Wolfenbüttel (1989), a research fellowship at the Danish Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities (2002-3), a Robertson Fellowship at the University of Glasgow (2004), and a research fellowship at the Center for Subjectivity Research at the University of Copenhagen (2007).
He has held visiting professorships at the Universities of Uppsala, Chicago, Regensburg, and Riga. He has delivered a number of established lectures, including the Waldenström Lectures (Stockholm), the Wesley Lectures (Gothenburg), the Donellan Lectures (Dublin), the Aquinas Lecture (Glasgow), and the Gonzaga Lecture (Glasgow), and has lectured at many universities and research institutions in Europe, Asia and North America.
- Kyrkans framtid: Teologiska reflexioner III, Lund: Arcus, 2012. Title in English: The Church's Future: Theological Reflections III. Available in Swedish only.
- A Theology of Love, London/New York: T&T Clark, 2010. Translated into Chinese, Danish, Italian, Spanish, and Swedish.
- Call and Response: The Challenge of Christian Life, Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, and New York: Continuum, 1995. Translated into German and Swedish.
- Theological Hermeneutics: Development and Significance, London: Macmillan, and New York: Crossroad, 1991. Paperback London: SCM, 1994. Translated into French, Italian, Polish and Turkish.
- Text und Interpretation als Kategorien theologischen Denkens, Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 1986. English edition: Text and Interpretation as Categories of Theological Thinking, trans. Thomas J. Wilson, Dublin: Gill and Macmillan, and New York: Crossroad, 1988.
- Recognising the Margins: Essays in Honour of Seán V. Freyne, with Andrew D. H. Mayes, eds., Dublin: Columba Press, 2006.
- The Concept of God in Global Dialogue, with Aasulv Lande, eds., Maryknoll: Orbis, 2005.
Festschrift/Essays in Honour of Werner G Jeanrond
- Dynamics of Difference: Christianity and Alterity. A Festschrift for Werner G Jeanrond, eds. Ulrich Schmiedel and James M Matarazzo, Jr, London and New York: Bloomsbury T&T Clark, 2015.
- "New Master of St Benet's Hall appointed". News Release. University of Oxford. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
- "Top theologian appointed to Benedictine hall" (PDF). Ampleforth Abbey. Retrieved 16 March 2012.
- "Prof Werner Jeanrond". School of Critical Studies. University of Glasgow. Retrieved 21 August 2012.
|Dean of Theology and Vice-Dean of Humanities, University of Lund
George McLeod Newlands
|Professor of Divinity, University of Glasgow
|Master of St Benet's Hall, Oxford