23 October 1903|
23 June 1972 (aged 68)|
|Occupation||Film director, actor|
Karl Adolf Kurt Werner Klingler (23 October 1903 – 23 June 1972) was a German film director and actor. He directed 29 films between 1936 and 1968. He was born in Stuttgart, Germany and died in Berlin, Germany.
Klingler acquired his first theatre experience in minor acting roles. He immigrated to the United States, where he played at a German-American theater in Milwaukee in 1925. Klinlger starred in films, such as Howard Hughes' Hell's Angels and Wilhelm Dieterle's The Dance Goes On (a German-language version of Those Who Dance).
Klingler met Luis Trenker to film Mountains on Fire. Klingler was assistant director at SOS Eisberg (1933) and The Prodigal Son (1934 film). He directed Die letzten Vier von Santa Cruz (1936). Klingler regressed to Germany. His new titles included Condottieri (1937 film), Love Letters from Engadin (1938), Die letzte Runde (1940), and Wetterleuchten um Barbara (1941). Klingler replaced the allegedly executed director, Herbert Selpin, for Titanic. After the epic film was banned, Klingler's Die Degenhardts (1944) was banned the following year. Klingler was unable to complete The Man in the Saddle due to the Battle of Berlin. His postwar credits include Raid (1947) and Nora's Ark (1948). He returned to Hollywood only to be rejected.
Klingler released the film, Lebensborn (1961), about the Nazi Eugenics system. He filmed a version of Bryan Edgar Wallace's Death Packs a Suitcase under the title, Das Geheimnis der schwarzen Koffer His last film was Straßenbekanntschaften auf St. Pauli (1968).
- The Dance Goes On (1930)
- The Last Four of Santa Cruz (1934)
- Home Guardsman Bruggler (1936)
- Condottieri (directed by Luis Trenker, 1937)
- Love Letters from Engadin (directed by Luis Trenker, 1938)
- Titanic (directed by Herbert Selpin, 1943)
- The Degenhardts (1944)
- Anna Alt (1945)
- Raid (1947)
- Nora's Ark (1948)
- Spy for Germany (1956)
- Doctor Bertram (1957)
- Banktresor 713 (1957)
- Hoppla, jetzt kommt Eddie (1958)
- Das Geheimnis der schwarzen Koffer (1962)
- Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (1962)
- Das Haus auf dem Hügel (1964)
- The Dirty Game (1965)
- " Werner Klingler." Film Portal. Accessed 10 September 2017. http://www.filmportal.de/person/werner-klingler_51033b9d34484f5ba982d48fea7854cf