|Member of the European Parliament|
27 November 1949
Müden (Mosel), West Germany
|Political party|| German:
Christian Democratic Union
European People's Party
|Alma mater||University of Bonn,
University of Cologne
Werner Langen (born 27 November 1949) is a German politician and Member of the European Parliament for Rhineland-Palatinate. He is a member of the conservative Christian Democratic Union, part of the European People's Party.
Between 1990 and 1991, Langen served as State Minister for Agriculture in the cabinet of Minister-President Carl-Ludwig Wagner of Rhineland-Palatinate. From 1992 until 1993, he was a member of the CDU executive board under the party’s then-chairman, Chancellor Helmut Kohl.
Member of the European Parliament, 1994-present
Langen has been a Member of the European Parliament since the 1994 elections. He has since been a member of the Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs. In this capacity, he has been in charge of steering key financial reforms through the European Parliament, including the European Market Infrastructure Regulation (EMIR) and the Insurance Mediation Directive (IMD 2) in 2015. In July 2016, Langen was elected to chair the Parliament's Committee of Inquiry into Money Laundering, Tax Avoidance and Tax Evasion (PANA) that will investigate the Panama Papers revelations and tax avoidance schemes more broadly.
Between 1999 and 2009, Langen was a member of the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy, where he served as the European People’s Party rapporteur for public services whose remit included competition cases.
Between 2006 and 2012, Langen chaired the CDU/CSU delegation to the European Parliament. In this capacity, he once again served as a member of the CDU executive board, this time under the party’s current chairwoman, Chancellor Angela Merkel. In 2010, he was a CDU delegate to the Federal Convention for the purpose of electing the President of Germany.
Since 2014, Langen has been a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on Biodiversity, Countryside, Hunting and Recreational Fisheries.
- European Energy Forum (EEF), Member
- German European Security Association (GESA), Founding Member
- Kangaroo Group, Member
- Ludwig Erhard Foundation, Member
- Pollichia, Member
- Jeremy Grant (June 17, 2011), European rebuke for US on derivatives Financial Times.
- Michelle Price (June 19, 2011), Europe Hits Back at U.S. Over Derivatives Wall Street Journal.
- Jon Benton (July 2, 2015), Consumers set to benefit from new EU insurance laws The Parliament Magazine.
- Centre-right MEP Langen to chair Panama Papers inquiry EUobserver, July 12, 2016.
- German army faces Commission tax evasion inquiry European Voice, December 18, 2002.
- Member of the European Parliament Intergroup on Biodiversity, Countryside, Hunting and Recreational Fisheries European Parliament.
- "MEP profile: Werner LANGEN". European Parliament. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Members of the Committee on the Affairs of the European Union". Bundestag. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- "Ausschuss für die Angelegenheiten der Europäischen Union: Fotoliste der Mitglieder" [Committee on European Union Affairs: Photographic list of members] (in German). Bundestag. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
Media related to Werner Langen at Wikimedia Commons
- Official website von Werner Langen (German)
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament from Germany is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|