Werribee South, Victoria
Werribee South Beach
|Population||1,768 (2016 census)|
|• Density||48.465/km2 (125.52/sq mi)|
|Area||36.48 km2 (14.1 sq mi)|
|LGA(s)||City of Wyndham|
Werribee South is a rural-urban suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 32 km south-west of Melbourne's Central Business District, located within the City of Wyndham local government area. Werribee South recorded a population of 1,768 at the 2016 census.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2012)
The Post Office opened on 15 May 1916 as Duncans Road, was renamed Werribee South in 1926 and closed in 1973.
Werribee South is located 32 km south-west of Melbourne and covers an area of 3,000 hectares. Werribee South has around 150 vegetable farms producing lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, fennel, and artichoke. Around 70% of Australia's lettuces are sourced from Werribee South and since January 2007 Werribee South's farms have been part of the Werribee Irrigation District Recycled Water Scheme.
Werribee South borders Point Cook and contains Werribee Park. Werribee South's streets originally were named by letters. This was changed by the Wyndham City Council, and the only remaining lettered street is K Road. Along K Road, The Werribee Mansion, Werribee Open Range Zoo and the National Equestrian Centre can be found.
Golfers play at the course of the Werribee Park Golf Club on K Road.
A sports oval (primarily used for Australian Rules Football), playgrounds, community services, and food facilities can be found along the beach of Werribee South, at the main population hub of the area. The area is popular with recreational fishers, and developments include a boat launch and a marina.
Werribee South is also home to the Diggers Road Memorial Hall, which is the rehearsal venue for the Werribee Concert Band. The Diggers Road Memorial Hall was built to commemorate Australia's participation in the First World War and is located at the corner of Diggers Road and Whites Road.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Werribee South (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 21 July 2017.
- Premier Postal History, Post Office List, retrieved 11 April 2008
- ABC Radio. Retrieved 1 October 2008
- Victorian Vegetable Growing Regions. Retrieved 1 October 2008 Archived 22 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- Golf Select, Werribee Park, retrieved 11 May 2009
- "About Us | R.P. Motors Werribee South". www.rpmotorswerribee.com.au. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- "New Holland Agriculture | R.P. Motors Werribee South". www.rpmotorswerribee.com.au. Retrieved 30 October 2018.
- The Age Newspaper. Retrieved 1 October 2008