Werribee railway station
South-west bound view from Platform 2
|Location||Comben Drive, Werribee|
|Operated by||Metro Trains|
|Distance||31.70 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Platforms||3 (1 island, 1 side)|
|Fare zone||Myki zone 2|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||25 June 1857|
|Passengers (2012)||1.068 million 2.7%|
|Passengers (2008-2009)||0.907 million|
|Passengers (2009-2010)||0.964 million 6.28%|
|Passengers (2010-2011)||1.040 million 7.88%|
|Passengers (2011-2012)||1.068 million 2.69%|
|Passengers (2012-2013)||Not measured|
|Passengers (2013-2014)||1.364 million 27.72%|
Werribee railway station is located on the Werribee line in Victoria, Australia, and serves the western Melbourne suburb of Werribee. It was opened by the Geelong and Melbourne Railway Company on 25 June 1857, as part of the railway line between those two cities. It currently serves as the terminus of the electrified suburban Werribee line.
Werribee station was designed by Frederick Kawerau, in partnership with Edward Snell, the engineer for the Geelong and Melbourne Railway Company. In May 1927, the station building was heavily damaged by fire. As part of the rebuilding, a new, low-pitched roof was provided, and the surviving bluestone walls were cement rendered. A stone plaque, embossed with "G.&M.R. 1857", was once on the south gable, but was lost after the fire. It has since been found, and has been built into the wall of the former Victorian Railways printing works in Laurens Street, North Melbourne.
The line from Newport to Werribee was electrified in November 1983, with the current island platform and underpass opened around the same time. It was upgraded to a Premium station in 1997.
Platforms & services
Until June 2015, V/Line Geelong and Warrnambool line services ran via Werribee, and many stopped there. The Melbourne-bound services would use Platform 2, while Geelong-bound services would use Platform 3. Those services now operate via the Regional Rail Link.
- 153: to Williams Landing station via Princes Highway
- 161: to Hoppers Crossing station via Werribee Plaza Shopping Centre
- 170: to Tarneit station via Werribee Plaza Shopping Centre
- 180: to Tarneit station via Tarneit Road<
- 181: to Hoppers Crossing station via Werribee Plaza Shopping Centre
- 190: to Wyndham Vale station via Ballan Road
- 191: to Jubilee Estate via Greaves Street
- 192: to Wyndham Vale station via Black Forest Road
- 439: to Werribee South via Werribee Park Mansion
- 441: to Westleigh Gardens via Geelong Road
- 443: to Southern Loop via South Werribee<
- Research and statistics PTV Retrieved 2014-11-10
- "Train Station Patronage FY2008-2014" (XLS). Public Transport Victoria. 14 May 2015. Archived from the original on 30 March 2016. Retrieved 1 November 2016. (access from )
- "Werribee Railway Station". Wyndham: Our Story. Wyndham City Council. Retrieved 11 November 2014.
- Werribee Station Rail Geelong
- Railway Archaeology Quiz #4 - see also illustration in Harrigan, Victorian Railways to '62
- "General News". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. August 1983. p. 206.
- Werribee Vicsig
- "Upgrading Eltham to a Premium Station". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1997. p. 310.
- "Werribee Line". Public Transport Victoria.
- "153 Williams Landing Station - Werribee Station via Princes Hwy". Public Transport Victoria.
- "161 Hoppers Crossing Station - Werribee Station via Werribee Plaza SC". Public Transport Victoria.
- "170 Werribee Station - Tarneit Station via Werribee Plaza SC". Public Transport Victoria.
- "180 Werribee Station - Tarneit Station via Tarneit Rd". Public Transport Victoria.
- "181 Werribee Station - Hoppers Crossing Station via Werribee Plaza SC". Public Transport Victoria.
- "190 Werribee Station - Wyndham Vale Station via Ballan Rd". Public Transport Victoria.
- "191 Werribee Station - Jubilee Estate via Greaves St". Public Transport Victoria.
- "192 Werribee Station - Wyndham Vale Station via Black Forest Rd". Public Transport Victoria.
- "439 Werribee Station - Werribee South via Werribee Park Mansion". Public Transport Victoria.
- "441 Werribee Station - Riverwalk Estate via Westleigh Gardens". Public Transport Victoria.
- "443 Werribee Station - Southern Loop via South Werribee". Public Transport Victoria.