|Born||March 26, 1993|
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
|Listed height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Listed weight||175 lb (79 kg)|
|High school||Washington (Cedar Rapids, Iowa)|
|NBA draft||2016 / Undrafted|
|2016||MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg|
|Career highlights and awards|
Wesley Lamar Washpun (born March 26, 1993) is an American basketball player who most recently played for the Iowa Wolves of the NBA G League. He played college basketball for Tennessee and Northern Iowa.
High school career
Washpun played for Washington High School in Cedar Rapids, Iowa under coach Brad Metzger. As a senior, he set a single-season steals school record with 92 and averaged 18 points, 5.4 rebounds, 4.0 assists, 3.7 steals and 2.1 blocks leading the Warriors to a 17-9 record and to the Class 4A tournament quarterfinals, where Washpun scored a team-high 23 points. This earned him first-team Class 4A All-State honors from the Iowa Newspaper Association.
After turning down a recruiting offer from Iowa, Washpun decided to attend the University of Tennessee where he averaged 0.9 points, 1.3 rebounds and 1.4 assists in 17 games. After his freshman season, he transferred to Northern Iowa. As a senior, he averaged 16.3 points on 51.4 % shooting from the floor while leading the Panthers during a noteworthy NCAA Tournament run, upsetting No. 6 seed Texas before losing to Texas A&M in the second round.
After graduating, Washpun had the fourth most assists in school history and scored 1,035 points during his three-year career with the Panthers. He also set the school's all-time single assist record as a senior with 190 assists.
After going undrafted in the 2016 NBA draft, Washpun joined the Los Angeles Clippers for the 2016 NBA Summer League. On July 10, 2016, Washpun signed with MHP Riesen Ludwigsburg of the German Bundesliga. On December 5, he left the team after averaging 5.4 points, 2.8 rebounds and 3.2 assists in 15 games. On December 26, he was acquired by the Iowa Energy of the NBA Development League.
In the 2017-18 season, Washpun averaged 6.6 points, 2.1 rebounds, and 2.0 assists per game in 43 games with Iowa.
- "Northern Iowa bio". UNIPanthers.com. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- Davis, Jeremiah (December 25, 2014). "Washpun finding his way". The Gazette. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- "Energy Acquire Former UNI Guard Wes Washpun". NBA.com. December 26, 2016. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- Kavner, Rowan (June 28, 2016). "Clippers' 2016 Summer League Team Breakdown". NBA.com. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- "Neuzugang auf der Point Guard-Position: Wes Washpun wechselt zu den MHP RIESEN". MHP-Riesen-Ludwisburg.de (in German). July 10, 2016. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- Utecht, Lasse (December 5, 2016). "WES WASHPUN VERLÄSST MHP RIESEN". Basketball.de (in German). Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- "Final 2017-18 NBA G League stats for ex-Iowa collegians". The Gazette. March 27, 2018. Retrieved May 21, 2018.
- Porter, Steve (March 21, 2016). "Washpun recalls good times with AHS basketball". AdvantageNews.com. Retrieved December 27, 2016.