Location in Lehigh County
|• Total||2.72 sq mi (7.05 km2)|
|• Land||2.72 sq mi (7.04 km2)|
|• Water||0.004 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||412 ft (126 m)|
|• Density||2,160/sq mi (834.0/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
18103, 18104, 18106
|Area code(s)||610 & 484|
|GNIS feature ID||1190850|
Wescosville is a census-designated place located in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, United States. The village is located between Allentown and Trexlertown in Lower Macungie Township. It is split between the Allentown ZIP codes of 18103, 18104, and 18106. As of the 2010 census the population was 5,872.
Geography and transportation
The community is in south-central Lehigh County, in the northern corner of Lower Macungie Township. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the Wescosville CDP has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.1 km2), of which 0.004 square miles (0.01 km2), or 0.15%, are water. The community drains south toward Little Lehigh Creek and north toward Cedar Creek, a tributary of the Little Lehigh. The entire community is part of the Lehigh River watershed.
The primary business district of Wescosville runs along Hamilton Boulevard and is bisected by the Pennsylvania Turnpike Northeast Extension (I-476). Hamilton Boulevard was part of U.S. Route 222 until the Trexlertown-Wescosville Bypass was opened in 2007. Interstate 78 runs along the northeast edge of Wescosville, interchanging with US-222. I-78 leads east 92 miles (148 km) to New York City and west via Interstate 81 78 miles (126 km) to Harrisburg. US-222 leads southeast from Wescosville 34 miles (55 km) to Reading, while Hamilton Boulevard continues northeast 5 miles (8 km) to the center of Allentown.
Wescosville is home to a park and ride lot at the site of the former Charcoal Drive-In restaurant on Hamilton Boulevard that serves Trans-Bridge Lines and Klein Transportation buses to Midtown Manhattan in New York City.
Wescosville was named after Philip Wesco, who operated a local inn in the 1820s.
Wescosville is part of the East Penn School District. Students in grades nine through 12 attend Emmaus High School in the district. Students in grades six through eight attend either Eyer Middle School or Lower Macungie Middle School in the district. Students in grades Kindergarten to five attend either Wescosville Elementary School or Willow Lane Elementary School in the district.
- Anna Kunkel, All-American Girls Professional Baseball League outfielder
- Christine Taylor, actress and wife of Ben Stiller
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files: Places: Pennsylvania". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 28, 2020.
- "Total Population: 2010 Census DEC Summary File 1 (P1), Wescosville CDP, Pennsylvania". data.census.gov. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved October 28, 2020.
- "Wescosville". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Bieber sets new pick-up, drop-off point in New York City". Allentown, PA: WFMZ-TV. July 27, 2018. Retrieved July 28, 2018.
- "Klein Transportation and OurBus announce introductory schedule and rates". Allentown, PA: WFMZ-TV. February 10, 2019. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- "Book Commuter Ticket". OurBus. Retrieved February 10, 2019.
- Espenshade, Abraham Howry (1925). Pennsylvania Place Names. Evangelical Press. p. 300. ISBN 978-0-8063-0416-8.