Wesley Chapel South, Florida
|Wesley Chapel South, Florida|
Location in Pasco County and the state of Florida
|• Total||11.1 sq mi (28.9 km2)|
|• Land||11.1 sq mi (28.8 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|• Density||292.3/sq mi (112.3/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 11.2 square miles (28.9 km2), of which 11.1 square miles (28.8 km2) is land and 0.04 square mile (0.1 km2) (0.27%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,245 people, 1,264 households, and 968 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 291.5 people per square mile (112.6/km2). There were 1,508 housing units at an average density of 135.5/sq mi (52.3/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 93.16% White, 1.45% African American, 0.55% Native American, 1.85% Asian, 0.99% from other races, and 2.00% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.35% of the population.
There were 1,264 households out of which 32.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 66.1% were married couples living together, 6.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.4% were non-families. 17.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.57 and the average family size was 2.90.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 23.2% under the age of 18, 5.4% from 18 to 24, 30.8% from 25 to 44, 29.1% from 45 to 64, and 11.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 100.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.8 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $53,828, and the median income for a family was $60,481. Males had a median income of $41,188 versus $30,864 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $31,399. About 5.5% of families and 6.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.2% of those under age 18 and 7.8% of those age 65 or over.
On January 13, 2014, Chad Oulson was killed and his wife Nicole wounded in a shooting at Grove 16 & CineBistro 6 in The Grove, a shopping center in Wesley Chapel South. Police believe the suspect, Curtis Reeves, a 71-year-old retired police officer, got angry after a conflict over texting on a phone before the movie Lone Survivor started. Reeves was charged with second-degree murder and aggravated battery, and faces a sentence of at least 25 years of prison.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Shooting Over Movie Theater Texting Leaves 1 Dead, 1 Injured (UPDATE)". Huffington Post. January 13, 2014. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Retired officer charged with killing man over texting". USA Today. January 13, 2014. Retrieved January 14, 2014.
- "Police: Texting argument in movie theater sparks fatal shooting". CNN.com. Retrieved 2014-01-16.
- Buie, Lisa. Curtis Reeves, suspect in movie theater shooting, released on bail, Tampa Bay Times, July 11, 2014.
- "A Theater Shooting You May Have Forgotten About". endstandyourground.wordpress.com. Retrieved December 28, 2015.