February 15, 1979 |
Virginia Beach, Virginia, United States
|Genres||Hardcore punk, grindcore, synthpop, dark wave|
|Occupation(s)||Singer-songwriter, musician, poet|
|Labels||Bridge 9, Deathwish, Epitaph, Equal Vision, Heartworm, Matador|
|Associated acts||Cold Cave, Give Up the Ghost, Some Girls, XO Skeletons|
Wesley Eisold performs his music under the name Cold Cave.
According to the Guardian, "Wesley Eisold is an absolutely new, young god of nihilism and despair – he brilliantly captures Cold Cave's aesthetic: the Morrissey of How Soon Is Now wailing over Nitzer Ebb beats and New Order melodies."
After a public row over alleged plagiarism, Eisold is now given songwriting credits for Fall Out Boy's songs "The Carpal Tunnel of Love", "Golden", and "Bang the Doldrums" from the album Infinity on High. On Fall Out Boy's 2005 album, From Under the Cork Tree, Eisold is credited as 'Inspirador.
In 2006, Eisold was published in the Columbia Journal and in August 2007, he released his first collection of poems and prose, Deathbeds. He has also worked with Eric Paul of Arab On Radar's poetry collection, I Offered Myself As The Sea, as well as Genesis P-Orridge, Jonathan Shaw, Boyd Rice, Chris Leo, and Max G. Morton.
In 2011 and 2012, Eisold performed live as a member of Prurient.
In more recent years, Eisold has strayed away from the hardcore music scene, and refocused his mentality towards musical genres. Eisold claimed in an interview that missing a hand has ruled out guitar and drums in terms of instruments, so he began to try "making music with synths and pedals" which ended up feeling comfortable. He also noted that his songwriting process had changed after being removed from the traditional band scene, and writing alone by himself.
In 2006, Eisold founded the independent publishing company, Heartworm Press. Eisold decided to run a publishing company because of his interest in writing and bringing zines to shows, and listed Exact Change, Grove Press, 2.13.61 and New Directions Publishing as influential publishers. In addition to releasing some of Eisold's writings and various releases from Cold Cave, Heartworm has also released items from Boyd Rice, Eric Paul, Jonathan Shaw and Genesis P-Orridge.
- American Nightmare/Give Up the Ghost - 4 Song Demo Tape/7" (2000) - Self Released/Malfunction
- American Nightmare - S/T 7" (2000) - Bridge 9 Records
- American Nightmare - The Sun Isn't Getting Any Brighter 7" (2001) - Bridge 9 Records
- American Nightmare/Give Up the Ghost - Background Music CD/LP (2001) - Equal Vision Records
- American Nightmare - Black on Black: A Tribute to Black Flag (song: Depression) (2002) - Initial
- American Nightmare - Love American Demos 2002-2003 - Unreleased
- Anti Aquarian - Chrome Jesus Cassette (2010) - Hospital Productions
- Cold Cave - Coma Potion 12" (2008) - Heartworm Press
- Cold Cave - The Trees Grew Emotions And Died 12"(2008) - Dais Records
- Cold Cave - Painted Nails 7" (2008) - Hospital Productions
- Cold Cave - Blessure Grave/Crocodile 3 way split 7" (2008) - Down In The Ground
- Cold Cave - Electronic Dreams Cassette (2009) - Heartworm Press
- Cold Cave - Cremations CD/12" (2009) - Hospital Productions
- Cold Cave - New Morale Leadership Cassette (2010) - Hospital Productions
- Cold Cave - Prurient Collaboration - Stars explode Cassette/12" (2009) - Hospital Productions
- Cold Cave - Easel and Ruby 12" Single (2009) - What's Your Rupture?
- Cold Cave - Love Comes Close CD/12" (2009) - Heartworm Press
- Cold Cave - The Laurels 12" Single (2009) - Big Love
- Cold Cave - Death Comes Close 12" (2009) - Matador Records
- Cold Cave - Love Comes Close 12" Re-Press (2009) - Matador Records
- Cold Cave - Cherish the Light Years (2011) - Matador Records
- Cold Cave - A Little Death to Laugh 7" (2012) - Heartworm Press
- Cold Cave - Oceans With No End 7" (2013) - Deathwish
- Cold Cave - Black Boots 7" (2013) - Heartworm Press
- Cold Cave - God Made the World 7" (2013) - Heartworm Press
- Cold Cave - Nausea, the Earth and Me- Digital Single (2013) - Heartworm Press
- Cold Cave - Full Cold Moon CD (2014) - Heartworm Press
- Give Up the Ghost - Love American CD-EP (2003) - Bridge 9 Records/Equal Vision Records
- Give Up the Ghost - We're Down Til We're Underground CD/LP (2003) - Equal Vision Records
- Give Up the Ghost - Live in London 7" (2003) - Bridge 9 Records
- Give Up the Ghost - Year One CD/2x7" (2004) - Reflections Records/Bridge 9 Records
- Some Girls - "We'll Let You Know" demo (2002)- Self Released
- Some Girls - The Rains EP EP (2002)- Deathwish
- Some Girls - The Blues EP EP (2002)- Deathwish
- Some Girls - All My Friends Are Going Death CD/LP (2003)- Deathwish/Three One G
- Some Girls - The DNA Will Have Its Say EP (2005)- Three One G
- Some Girls - Heaven's Pregnant Teens CD/LP (2006)- Epitaph/Three One G
- Some Girls - BBC Session
- Taylor Bow - Thin Air LP (2009)- Youth Attack!
- XO Skeletons - Live From Planet Death (demo) (2005) - Heartworm Press
- XO Skeletons - Asthmagasm EP (2006) - Malfunction
- XO Skeletons - Bored By Heaven Digital/12" (2008) - self released
- Ye Olde Maids - s/t Cassette (2007) - Heartworm Press
- Ye Olde Maids contributed a track to Nihil Underground's "Decades of Decay" noise/power electronics compilation.
- Ye Olde Maids - God Blesses Us, Mother Dresses Us 12" (2009) - Art Fag
- Paul Lester. "New band of the day - 613: Cold Cave". the Guardian. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Fall Out Boy borrows lyrics from American Nightmare/Give Up The Ghost". Punknews.org. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Corey Apar. "Infinity on High - Fall Out Boy - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Message - AbsolutePunk.net". Absolutepunk.net. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "From Under the Cork Tree Bonus Tracks by Fall Out Boy @ARTISTdirect". ARTISTdirect. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
-  Archived March 29, 2009 at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived February 14, 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- "Gothamist". Gotamist.com. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- "MUTE • Non • announces the release of a new album, ‘Back To Mono’". MUTE. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Boyd Rice and Cold Cave announce June tour - Music News - Tiny Mix Tapes". Tiny Mix Tapes. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- http://thump.vice.com/en_ca/videos/music-videos/black-asteroids-new-video-is-purely-industrial. Missing or empty
- Brandon (October 28, 2009). "Quit Your Day Job: Cold Cave". Stereogum. Buzz Media. Retrieved April 13, 2013.