|Alma mater||Yale University|
|Occupation||Film critic, writer|
|Employer||The New York Times|
|Awards||Pulitzer Prize for Criticism|
Wesley Morris (born 1975) is an American journalist and critic-at-large for The New York Times. Previously Morris wrote for The Boston Globe, then Grantland. He won the 2012 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism for his work with The Globe.
Morris joined The Boston Globe in 2002, where he reviewed films alongside Ty Burr. Morris and Burr also made regular appearances on NECN to discuss the latest films and do the weekly Take Two film review video series on Boston.com.
Before joining the Globe, he wrote film reviews and essays for the San Francisco Examiner and the San Francisco Chronicle. He is featured in the 2009 documentary film For the Love of Movies: The Story of American Film Criticism discussing the impact of video store shopping on the importance of film criticism, and how critic Harry Knowles started a questionable revolution of amateurs writing film criticism.
From 2013 to 2015 Wesley Morris wrote for ESPN's website Grantland.
In October 2015, Morris joined The New York Times as critic-at-large, contributing to the newspaper as well as The New York Times Magazine.
In 2011, Morris won the Pulitzer Prize for Criticism for his work at The Boston Globe; the award cited "his smart, inventive film criticism, distinguished by pinpoint prose and an easy traverse between the art house and the big-screen box office."
- "Wesley Morris of The Boston Globe". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- Lehman, Susan (December 8, 2015). "New Critic at Large: 'Breathtakingly Funny, Absolutely Serious'". The New York Times.
- Simmons, Bill. "Delighted to announce that Pulitzer Prize winner @wesley_morris joins @Grantland33 full-time starting January 1st". Twitter. Retrieved February 12, 2013.
- "The 2012 Pulitzer Prize Winners: Criticism". The Pulitzer Prizes. Retrieved November 16, 2013. With short biography and reprints of nine works (Boston Globe articles April 12 to December 16, 2011).
- "Wesley Morris". Boston.com. Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- Kahn, Joseph P. (April 17, 2012). "Globe film writer Morris win Pulitzer for Criticism". The Boston Globe. Retrieved April 18, 2012.
- Kassel, Matthew (17 September 2015). "Wesley Morris Named Critic at Large in Culture at New York Times". New York Observer. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Hayden, Erik (September 17, 2015). "New York Times Hires Grantland Writer Wesley Morris". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Doctor, Ken (September 6, 2016). "The New York Times gets serious about podcasting". Politico. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Sebastian, Michael (January 15, 2015). "ESPN's Grantland Earns Three National Magazine Award Nominations". Advertising Age. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Bloomgarden-Smoke, Kara (15 January 2015). "The Finalists for the National Magazine Awards Are …". New York Observer. Retrieved 11 September 2016.
- Wesley Morris at the Internet Movie Database
- Biography and film reviews at the Globe website
- Appearance on NECN with film critic Ty Burr
|This article about a United States journalist born in the 1970s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|