Wesleyan Christian Academy
|Wesleyan Christian Academy|
|1917 North Centennial Street
High Point, North Carolina 27262
|Religious affiliation(s)||Christian Wesleyan Church, A ministry of The North Carolina Wesleyan Church|
Rob Brown (Head of School)
|Head of school||Rob Brown|
|Student to teacher ratio||14:1|
|Hours in school day||7 hours 15 minutes|
|Color(s)||Red and Gold|
|Athletics||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Golf, lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volley Ball, Wrestling|
|Rival||Greensboro Day School|
Wesleyan Christian Academy is a private school located in High Point, North Carolina, across from the Oak Hollow Mall. School colors are red and gold. Wesleyan Christian Academy has been accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS / CASI) since 2000. The Head of School is Dr. Rob Brown.
The Wesleyan Christian Academy Trojans enjoy success in numerous varsity sports. The school competes in the 3A division of the North Carolina Independent Schools Athletic Association (NCISAA). The Trojans' primary rival is Greensboro Day School, an independent school located in nearby Greensboro, NC . Wesleyan's secondary rival is High Point Christian Academy, an independent school also located in High Point. Wesleyan's athletic director is Glen Foster.
Wesleyan won the 1991-92 Wachovia Cup for Class 1A, awarded annually to high schools with the best interscholastic sports programs based on overall performance across sports programs throughout the year.
The men's soccer team won consecutive state titles in the 1990s, winning the NCISAA Class 1A state title in 1988, 1990, 1991 (2-1 vs. Fayetteville Academy) and 1992 (1-0 vs O'Neal School). The team returned to success with another state championship in 2005, followed by state titles in 2011, 2012, 2014, and 2015.
The Trojans added lacrosse as an official sport for the 2008 spring season. The Trojans had a club team in 2007, and is currently led under coach Joe Young. In 2010, Colin Kennedy became the new head coach; he attends High Point University as a junior.
In 2008, the men's baseball team rolled to the NCISAA state championship with a 23-2 record. In 2010, the baseball team again won the NCISAA 3A State championship by beating Forsyth Country Day in the best-of-three finals in a two-game sweep.
Wesleyan was the 2010 NCISAA state champion in both Girls Swimming and Men's Wrestling.
Wesleyan has one of the finest Fine Arts departments in NC. They have won many awards, including the Harris Teeter jingle award in 2009 and 2010. In 2008 a private Teaching Studio, under the direction of Dr. Michael Jarrett, was established to provide private instruction in instrumental and vocal music. The Studio now employs 22 part-time professional teachers and provides 200 plus private lessons per week (school and community). The Studio is one of the largest in the Triad. Wesleyan now has 4th-8th grade choruses and three high school choruses. Each of the choruses goes to one or more accreditations The Wesleyan Fine Arts has band programs for 6th-8th grade students and a high school band. There is also a Praise Band. Wesleyan Christian Academy hosts a High School musical annually. There is also an elementary musical fourth graders having the leading roles.
In 2010 Wesleyan bought 66 acres of land in Colfax (The Heart of the Triad.) It is located at the corner of Johnson St and Sandy Ridge Rd. The school plans to develop the land over the next few years, moving the school to the new land. They will do it in stage including sports fields, grounds, classes, and student life.High Point University is a potential buyer of the current Eastchester campus.
Several AP (Advanced Placement) classes and exams are offered in the high school. These include:
English Language & Composition
English Literature & Composition
Government & Politics: U.S.
AP World History (geography) 
- Elizabeth Carty, competitor in the Miss Teen USA pageant
- Hannah Kiefer, Miss Virginia 2007.
- Wil Myers, 2013 AL Rookie of the Year- Tampa Bay Devil Rays
- Harry Giles, college basketball player for Duke University.
- SACS CASI Accredited Schools - North Carolina, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Accessed November 9, 2007.
- "COUNTRY DAY WINS TOP NCISAA AWARD", Charlotte Observer, June 30, 1992. Accessed June 28, 2007. "Charlotte Country Day School and Wesleyan Christian Academy of High Point won the 1991-92 Wachovia Cup competition among members of the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association. The Wachovia Cup annually recognizes high schools with the best interscholastic sports programs within their classifications."
- "WESLEYAN TRIUMPHS", Greensboro News & Record, June 30, 1992. Accessed June 28, 2007. Wesleyan Academy won the Class 1-A independent schools classification of the 1991-92 Wachovia Cup competition with 350 points to 265 for second-place O'Neal School of Southern Pines."
- Wachovia Cup, NCISAA. Accessed June 28, 2007.
- Pope, Thomas. "AGONY: FAYETTEVILLE ACADEMY LOSES IN STATE TITLE BID", The Fayetteville Observer, November 10, 1991. Accessed June 28, 2007. " Fullback John Hachet scored with 8:12 left in the game to give Wesleyan Christian Academy the N.C. Independent Schools Athletic Association 1-A championship over the previously unbeaten Eagles, 2-1."
- Jackson, Michael L. "WESLEYAN BLANKS O'NEAL FOR NCISAA 1-A CROWN", Greensboro News & Record, November 15, 1992. Accessed June 28, 2007. "The High Point Wesleyan Christian Academy Trojans are once again NCISAA 1-A state soccer champions. The Trojans picked up their third straight state championship - fourth in the last five years and fifth overall - Saturday afternoon, by downing the O'Neal School Falcons 1-0 at Millas Field on the campus of High Point University."
- "Camels pull off stunner", Fayetteville Observer, October 11, 2006. "Kenny, who helped Wesleyan Christian Academy In High point win a state independent school championship In 2005..."
- NCISAA BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS, NCISAA. Accessed June 28, 2007.
- WCA Facts. Accessed November 8, 2007.
- "HIGH POINT TEEN TO COMPETE FOR MISS TEEN USA CROWN", Greensboro News & Record, July 18, 2004. Accessed November 9, 2007. "Carty, a rising senior at Wesleyan Christian Academy, was named Miss North Carolina Teen USA last fall and will compete for the title of Miss Teen USA on Aug. 6."
- Miss Virginia
- Miss America website