West 65th – Lorain (RTA Rapid Transit station)
|rapid transit station|
|Location||6200 Corona Court
Cleveland, OH 44102
|Owned by||Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections|| 22 (Lorain Ave.)
|Structure type||Below grade|
|Opened||August 14, 1955|
|Rebuilt||September 21, 2004|
|Previous names||West 65th–Madison|
The station comprises a main headhouse having an entrance at the corner of West 61st Street and Lawn Avenue. The platform extends northwest from the main station house with an alternate entrance from Madison Avenue near West 65th Street. There are a limited number of parking spaces provided along West 61st Street between the station entrance and Lorain Avenue.
Notable places nearby
The present station opened in 2004 was constructed as a result of the Cleveland EcoVillage project as a catalyst for neighborhood development and to promote the use of environmentally-friendly transportation. The EcoVillage project, a partnership between the Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization and EcoCity Cleveland, promotes the development of homes and businesses that incorporate the latest environmental thinking and are expressly linked to transit—so EcoVillage residents can live, shop, and work within a in a compact neighborhood that gives people convenient access to transit options. The rapid transit station is intended to be the centerpiece for an urban neighborhood rebuilding with the environment in mind.
The station opened on August 14, 1955 when the west side portion of the CTS Rapid Transit began operation. Ridership dwindled by the 1990s, and RTA considered closing the station.[not in citation given]
Instead, the EcoVillage project was formed and worked on a proposal to rebuild the station as part of a neighborhood renovation project. The new $4-million station opened on September 21, 2004. The cornerstone of a public-private partnership, EcoVillage is believed to be one of the first "green” rail stations in the country.
- 2007 Park-and-Ride Inventory/Survey, NOACA 2006 Transit Network Guide, June 2007, p. 29.
- EcoCity Cleveland (March 2004). "New RTA Rapid station will be catalyst for EcoVillage development". Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- "About RTA: History of Public Transit in Greater Cleveland". RTA Website. Retrieved 2007-06-12.
- Sweeney, James F. (October 27, 1999). "RTA considers closing 3 stations on Red Line". The Plain Dealer. p. 3B. Retrieved 2007-06-02.
- Nichols, Jim (May 2, 1999). "Neighborhood back on track new rapid station seen as catalyst at W. 65th-Lorain". The Plain Dealer. p. 1B. Retrieved 2007-06-02.
- "W. 65th St. rail station opens; Cornerstone of EcoVillage and neighborhood revitalization effort" (Press release). Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority. November 21, 2004. Retrieved 2007-02-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West 65th – Lorain (RTA Rapid Transit station).|