West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine (UK Parliament constituency)
|West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine|
for the House of Commons
Boundary of West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine in Scotland.
|Member of parliament||Stuart Donaldson (SNP)|
|Created from||Kincardine and Deeside|
|European Parliament constituency||Scotland|
West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine is a county constituency of the House of Commons of the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (Westminster), which elects one Member of Parliament (MP) by the first past the post system of election. It was first used in the 1997 general election, but has undergone boundary changes since that date.
There was also a Holyrood constituency of West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, a constituency of the Scottish Parliament, created in 1999 with the same boundaries as the Westminster constituency at that time.
grouped by the Fifth Review
|Aberdeen City and Aberdeenshire|
1997-2005: Kincardine and Deeside District, and the Gordon District electoral divisions of Donside and South Gordon.
2005–present: The area of the Aberdeenshire Council other than those parts in the Banff and Buchan County Constituency and the Gordon County Constituency.
The constituency covers a southern portion of the Aberdeenshire council area.
As redefined by the Fifth Periodical Review of the Boundary Commission for Scotland. and subsequently first used in the 2005 general election, it is one of five constituencies covering the Aberdeenshire council area and the Aberdeen City council area. To the northeast of West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine there are the constituencies of Aberdeen North and Aberdeen South, which are both entirely within the Aberdeen City area. To the north of West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, there is the Gordon constituency, which covers part of the Aberdeenshire area and part of the Aberdeen City area, and further north there is the Banff and Buchan constituency which, like West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, is entirely within the Aberdeenshire area.
The West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine constituency includes the towns of Stonehaven, Portlethen and Banchory, and stretches along the Dee river valley to Braemar. Westhill and Kemnay, which were with the Gordon constituency until 2005, are now within the West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine constituency.
Members of Parliament
|1997||Sir Robert Smith||Liberal Democrat|
Elections in 2010s
|SNP||Stuart Blair Donaldson||22,949||41.6||+25.9|
|Conservative||Alexander James Amherst Burnett||15,916||28.8||-1.4|
|Liberal Democrat||Sir Robert Hill Smith||11,812||21.4||-17.0|
|UKIP||David Michael Lansdell||1,006||1.8||+1.6|
|Scottish Green||Richard Paul Openshaw||885||1.6||+1.6|
|SNP gain from Liberal Democrat||Swing||+21.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Sir Robert Hill Smith||17,362||38.4||−7.9|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing||−4.9|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Sir Robert Hill Smith||19,285||46.3||+2.3|
|Scottish Socialist||Lorna Grant||379||0.9||−0.2|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing||+2.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Sir Robert Hill Smith||16,507||43.5||+2.4|
|Labour||Kevin John Hutchens||4,669||12.3||+3.2|
|SNP||John Gorman Green||4,634||12.2||−0.9|
|Scottish Socialist||Alan Manley||418||1.1||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat hold||Swing||+3.3|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Sir Robert Smith||17,742||41.1||N/A|
|SNP||Mrs. Joy M. Mowatt||5,649||13.1||N/A|
|Labour||Qaisra E. Khan||3,923||9.1||N/A|
|Referendum||Steve L. Ball||808||1.9||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat win (new seat)|
Notes and references
- The boundaries of Holyrood constituencies remain as when the constituencies were created in 1999
Holyrood refers to the location of the Scottish Parliament Building near Holyroodhouse Palace in Edinburgh
See also Scottish Parliament constituencies and regions
- Boundary Commission for Scotland website
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "A" (part 1)[self-published source][better source needed]
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- http://www.aberdeenshire.gov.uk/elections/DeclarationofResult-WAK.pdf 7Aug15
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- BBC Election Results: West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, www.bbc.co.uk
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Aristotle: Aberdeenshire West and Kincardine", Guardian Unlimited