West Bend School District
|West Bend School District|
|735 South Main Street
West Bend, Wisconsin
|Grades||PK - 12|
|Students and staff|
The West Bend School District (officially West Bend Joint School District #1) is a school district in Wisconsin serving the city of West Bend, the villages of Jackson and Newburg, and parts of the towns of Polk, Trenton, and Addison.
As of the 2012-2013 school year, the district served 6,920 students.
The district has two high schools, East and West, which share one building. Each school has about 1,200 students. The two high schools were formed in 1970, but proposals for merging the schools have been raised repeatedly since the 1980s. The high schools have different students, teachers, and sports teams, but share an auditorium, music department, gymnasium complex, and natatorium. In athletics, both East and West participate in the Wisconsin Little Ten Conference.
Every three to four years, in partnership with the West Bend police and fire departments, the high schools hold the two-day Every 15 Minutes program for juniors and seniors, which challenges them to think about drinking, driving, personal safety, and the responsibility of making mature decisions. In partnership with the city's police and fire departments, a mock DUI crash is held on East Decorah Road.
West Bend East
West Bend West
- West Bend East High School
- West Bend West High School
- Silverbrook Intermediate School - grades 5-6
- Badger Middle School - grades 7-8
- Decorah Elementary School
- Fair Park Elementary School
- Green Tree Elementary School
- Jackson Elementary School
- McLane Elementary School
- Rolf's Education Center - preschool
- Pathways Charter School - grades 7-11
- Louis A. Arnold, HVAC worker and Socialist Wisconsin state senator
- Otto Kehrein, carpenter and Socialist Wisconsin state assemblyman
- Willie Mueller, pitcher for the Milwaukee Brewers and actor in the movie Major League
- Ryan Rohlinger, the third baseman for the San Francisco Giants.
- Henry O. Schowalter, lawyer and Democratic Wisconsin state assemblyman
- Dave Steckel, a hockey player for the New Jersey Devils
- Viola S. Wendt, poet and educator
- Jay Anderson, "West Bend board defeats plan to restrict pupil releases", Milwaukee Journal, August 25, 1982, at 7A.
- Editorial: "Why not merge two high schools?" Milwaukee Journal, October 12, 1988 at B1.
- Anne Davis, "East, West Highs will keep separate athletic programs", Milwaukee Journal June 9, 1992, at B1.
- Mitch Maersch, "Survey on combining West Bend schools online till Tuesday", West Bend Daily News August 22, 2008.
- "Every 15 Minutes at West Bend East & West High Schools". Wisconsin Public Safety Photo Library. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "2013 America's Best High Schools". Newsweek. Retrieved 28 April 2015.
- "Willie Mueller Baseball Stats by Baseball Almanac". Baseball-almanac.com. Retrieved 2012-11-19.
- "Ryan Rohlinger Statistics and History". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved 2012-11-19.