West Bradford, Lancashire
West Bradford shown within Lancashire
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||West Bradford|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||North West England|
|UK Parliament||Ribble Valley|
West Bradford is a village and civil parish Lancashire, England, 27 miles (43 km) west of the larger city of Bradford, West Yorkshire and 2.5 miles (4 km) north of Clitheroe. The population of the civil parish taken at the 2011 census was 788. It covers some 2000 acres of the Forest of Bowland. In Domesday, it is recorded as Bradeford and in the thirteenth century, Braford in Bouland. It was part of the West Riding of Yorkshire until 1974. "West Bradford" was introduced in the nineteenth century at the time of the introduction of postal services to help distinguish the village from its larger eastern neighbour of the same name.
Since the fourteenth century, West Bradford has formed part of the Liberty of Slaidburn. In turn, Slaidburn was part of the ancient Lordship of Bowland which comprised a Royal Forest and a Liberty of ten manors spanning eight townships and four parishes and covered an area of almost 300 square miles (800 km2) on the historic borders of Lancashire and Yorkshire. The manors within the Liberty were Slaidburn (Newton-in-Bowland, West Bradford, Grindleton), Knowlmere, Waddington, Easington, Bashall Eaves, Mitton, Withgill (Crook), Leagram (Bowland-with-Leagram), Hammerton and Dunnow (Battersby).
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 23 January 2016.
- Ekwall, Eilert, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford, Oxford University Press, 4th edition, 1960. p. 58. ISBN 0198691033.
- "Waddington and West Bradford". MARIO. Lancashire County Council. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Waddington and West Bradford". Ordnance Survey Linked Data Platform. Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Lord of the Fells, Guardian of History" (PDF). Rural Life. November 2014.
- Forest of Bowland official website
- Duckworth, Alan. "Gandhi: a visit to Lancashire". Cotton Town: Blackburn with Darwen. Retrieved 2009-05-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Bradford, Lancashire.|