West Brompton station
Location of West Brompton in Greater London
|Local authority||Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||4|
|Accessible||Yes (except District westbound platform)|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|1869||Started (Terminus) (DR)|
|1880||Started (Through Service) (DR)|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portal
UK Railways portalCoordinates:
West Brompton is a London Underground and National Rail station on the District line and London Overground and Southern in west London. It is located on Old Brompton Road (A3218) immediately south of Earls Court Exhibition Centre and to the west of Brompton Cemetery.
The West London Extension Joint Railway (WLEJR) was opened in the early 1860s. It joined the southern end of the West London Joint Railway at Kensington (Olympia) station with Clapham Junction station and ran through West Brompton although a station was not opened until 1866.
On 12 April 1869, the District Railway (DR, now the District line) opened its own station adjacent to the WLEJR station as the terminus and only station on its extension from Gloucester Road station (Earl's Court station did not open until 1871). The original plan was to connect the DR to the WLEJR but this did not take place.
On 1 March 1880, the DR opened an extension south from West Brompton to Putney Bridge.
In 1940, during World War II, several WLL stations sustained bomb damage. Passenger services on the WLL between Willesden Junction and Clapham Junction were withdrawn on 21 October 1940. The Underground station remained in use and the WLL continued in use for freight traffic. The WLL station buildings and platforms were subsequently demolished.
Full passenger services resumed on the WLL in 1994, but it was not until 1 June 1999 that new Network Rail platforms were opened at West Brompton. The works were funded by the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham on whose border the station lies.
The WLL platforms do not have a separate entrance and access is from the Underground station. The District line serves platforms 1 and 2 and the WLL serves platforms 3 and 4. There is a fence between platforms 2 and 3, but they are on the same level and it is possible to pass directly between them.
There are lifts to both overground platforms, and this means there is also step-free access to the eastbound District line platform, but not the westbound one.
Typical off-peak services per hour:
London Underground District line
- 3 eastbound to Tower Hill
- 3 eastbound to Barking via Tower Hill
- 6 eastbound to Edgware Road
- 12 westbound to Wimbledon
- 4 northbound to Willesden Junction, of which 2 continue to Stratford.
- 4 southbound to Clapham Junction.
- 1 northbound to Milton Keynes Central via Watford Junction.
- 1 southbound to South Croydon via Clapham Junction and East Croydon.
Additional District line services operate at peak times, with many trains continuing to Barking, Dagenham East or Upminster, while all 4 London Overground services per hour continue to Stratford. Some additional Southern services also operate between Shepherd's Bush and Clapham Junction.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to West Brompton station.|
Vintage sign, from before the Johnston typeface was standardised
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 June 2015.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLS). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. June 2015. Retrieved 20 June 2015.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Historic England. "Details from listed building database (1385365)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 9 October 2015.
- London Underground Timetables
- North London Line/West London Line timetable from 22 May 2011.[dead link]
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
- London's Abandoned Tube stations - West London Line
- West Brompton, SubBrit disused stations project
- www.Old-maps.co.uk - West Brompton station, 1874
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
|Preceding station||London Overground||Following station|
|West London Line||
towards Clapham Junction
West London Route
Olympia to Wandsworth Road
|Chelsea and Fulham||West London Line||Kensington (Olympia)|