West Broward High School
|West Broward High School|
|500 NW 209th Ave
Pembroke Pines, Florida 33309
|Opened||August 20, 2008|
|School district||Broward County Public Schools|
|NCES District ID||1200180|
|NCES School ID||120018007555|
|Color(s)||Carolina Blue, Silver and Black
|Rivals||Cypress Bay High School|
|Feeder schools||Silver Trail Middle, Glades Middle, and Falcon Cove Middle|
The school was slated to open for its first day of classes on August 18, 2008, but the opening was delayed until August 20, 2008, because the first two days of school were postponed due to the effects of Tropical Storm Fay.
The school was constructed to relieve overcrowding at nearby schools such as Everglades High School and Cypress Bay High School. Daniel Traeger was named the school's first ever principal on November 15, 2007. The school's mascot are the Bobcats and the school colors are Carolina blue and silver. The school is notable for its ProStart Culinary Program, Veterinary Medicine career program, and daycare program for teachers assistants, as well as its nationally recognized Television Production Program.
The school newspaper is called "The Lynx". West Broward's TV Production program has won an array of awards at FSPA at the district and state levels, as well as at the national level as of the 2013-2014 school year.
West Broward High feeds 100% from Silver Trail Middle, portions of Glades Middle, and portions of Falcon Cove Middle.
The school is on a 8 period A/B schedule. Periods 1, 2, 3 and 4 make up "A" day (also known as Silver day), while "B" day (also known as Blue day) consists of periods 5, 6, 7, and 8. All classes are 90 minutes long, except for early release days and PSD's (Professional Study Day).
Career and Technical Programs (CTACE)
West Broward High School offers a number of various career and technical programs such as:
- Television Production:
- Veterinary Assisting
- The Institute of Business and Entrepreneurship (IBE)
- Web Design Services
- Academy of Culinary Operations (ProStart) / Hospitality
- Early Childhood Education
- First Responder / Allied Health Assisting
- DECA (Association of Business Students)
- Pathways to Engineering
Science Department offerings
- Biology 1
- Biology 1 H
- Biology 2 H (10th – 11th)
- AP Biology
- Chemistry 1
- Chemistry 1H
- AP Chemistry
- Physics 1
- Physics H
- AP Physics 1
- AP Physics 2
- AP Physics C
- AP Environmental Science
- Marine Science 1 H
- Anatomy & Physiology H
- Earth Space Science/Honors
These are not magnet programs and are offered to all students of West Broward High School.
West Broward High has an award-winning Performance Ensemble which consists of wind players, percussion, and color guard. In November 2010, they performed at the Tropicana Dome in St. Petersburg, FL for their first competition on a state level and placed 3rd in class 5A in competition with over 80 other bands. In October 2011, they performed at the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, GA in the Bands of America Super Regional Competition for the first time. They made finals, making them the 2nd band in the history of BOA to make finals for the first time, and they took 9th place. Color guard (flag spinning) ranked third in Class A at World Finals during the 2009-2010 "Winter Guard" season. During the 2010-2011 season the winterguard placed 2nd in Open class. The 2011-2012 year started their journey through world class finishing 9th in world class finals.
As of 2015-2016, the total student enrollment was 2,263. The ethnic makeup of the school was 33.4% White, 11.4% Black, 47.6% Hispanic or Latino, 3.9% Asian or Pacific Islander, 3.11% Multiracial, and 0.3% Native American or Native Alaskan.
- "Search for Public School Districts – District Detail for Broward County Public Schools". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- "Search for Public Schools - School Detail for West Broward High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Institute of Education Sciences. Retrieved May 8, 2014.
- Broward Schools Enrollment Counts
- FCAT School Grades - High
- "FMBC 2010 State Finals Results" (PDF). November 20, 2010. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- "2011 Super Regional Championship at Atlanta, GA" (PDF). October 29, 2011. Retrieved August 27, 2016.
- "A Class Finals - Results". Winter Guard International. April 10, 2010. Retrieved August 27, 2016.