West Catholic High School
|West Catholic High School|
|1801 Bristol N.W.
Grand Rapids, Michigan 49504
|Chaplain||Fr. Dan Schumaker|
|Grades||9 - 12|
|Mascot||Freddy the Falcon|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Patron Saint||St. John Paul II|
West Catholic is proud of its over 50-year history of academic excellence. Sixteen Advanced Placement courses are taught on campus, and many students earn dual-enrollment credits through a partnership with Aquinas College also offered on-site. Over 60 percent leave high school with college credits. The class of 2015 had 99 percent of its graduates attend college, and 82 percent of those at four-year institutions.
Over 87 percent of West Catholic students lead and participate in one or more athletic teams and activities. In 2015 West Catholic teams won five conference championships, five district championships, four regional championships and a football state championship. After the football team won the State Championship in 2016, they extended their State Championship run to 4 straight years.
State Championships (MHSAA unless noted):
- 1970 Boys' Football - Class B
- 1979 Girls' Basketball - Class B
- 1984 Girls' Gymnastics - Open Class
- 1990 Girls' Basketball - Class B
- 2003 Boys' Across Country - Division 3
- 2004 Boys' Team Track n' Field - Division 3 
- 2008 Boys' Team Track n' Field - Division 3 
- 2008 Girls' Team Track n' Field - Division 3 
- 2009 Boys' Team Track n' Field - Division 3 (MITCA)
- 2010 Boys' Football - Division 5Stats
- 2013 Boys' Football - Division 5
- 2014 Boys' Football - Division 5
- 2015 Boys' Football - Division 5
- 2016 Boys' Football - Division 5
The West Catholic Performing Arts Department offers students many opportunities to learn, practice and show off the many skills they have been blessed with. Classes offered include Marching Band, Concert Band, Jazz Band, Concert Choir and Music Appreciation.
In addition to the classes, students may take part in Liturgical Choir or Drama Club. The Liturgical Choir practices during lunch period and will often lead the music during school masses. The Drama Club performs one play and one musical each year. Students practice in the evenings and performances are held at Aquinas College Performing Arts Center.
Over 100 members strong, the Falcon marching band has earned top honors at the MSBOA festival since 1998. The band consistently travels to international music festivals and has performed for Pope Benedict XVI in Italy. Student will have the opportunity to participate in the jazz band, orchestra band, color guard, liturgical choir and musical productions
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Archived from the original on April 29, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-23.